PDA

View Full Version : Source for Reliant tools?

Conrad
08-01-2002, 01:00 PM
OK, I have to ask. Where do you buy Reliant tools? I had never heard of them prior to reading this board. Do they have a web site or are they sold locally?

Conrad

deathwish2
08-01-2002, 01:28 PM
Reliant is the "house brand" from "Woodworkers Warehouse" . They are based in Massachusetts and all thier stores are in the northeast, if there is not a store near you MOVE!!

Just kidding.

They don't have ALL their stuff online, but check out . . .

http://www.woodworkerswarehouse.com

There is a store locator on the site (upper right on home page).

--Deathwish

When it comes to
woodworking and buying
tools, I always think back to
my grandfathers advice on
golf . . . "it's not the arrows,
it's the indian.''

bluekey88
08-02-2002, 08:10 AM
I checked out the woodwoerker's warehouse website but didn't find anything about Reliant tools. I'm intetrested in the jointer (after Limey's subtle praise...hehe).

Anybody know where else one could find info on reliant tools? If I've missed something obvious...tell me that too.

Peace,
Erik

Windows 95: A 32-bit extension of a 16-bit shell for an 8-bit program written for a 4-bit processor by a 2-bit company that can't stand 1-bit of competition!

Conrad
08-02-2002, 11:13 AM
I went to the website and ordered a catalog. It looks like it might be a great source in the future. How does their quality compare to other dealers? Are they more similar to Rockler and Woodcraft or are they more like Harbor Freight?

Conrad

ASLNROX
08-02-2002, 11:38 AM
I too was very interested in l;ooking at teh Relint jointer, but WW Warehouse told me it was discontinued. Bummer. Used tools are hard to come by, but i will keep on looking!

Blessings,
--Mark

Visit my shop at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~maspaulding/

Limey
08-02-2002, 11:47 AM
They carry all the big brand names Delta,Jet, etc but also carry the less expensive stuff alongside, so it's hard to give them a lable.
It's noticeable that they carry the Sorby 3/4" oval skew turning chisel for $27 as opposed to Woodcraft at $37...just to give you an example.
The quality of advice is lower where I live..not quite as bad as the worst examples of H.D. but it's a truism that if you undercut your competitors it shows up somewhere along the line.
If you know what you are looking at and do your homework then they don't mislead you..it's a question of not knowing the answer with W.Warehouse rather than outright deception...my experience anyway.

Cheers Limey

P.S. In answer to the other question I believe Trendlines does mention another distributor West of the Missisipee (classic misspell!!)do a google on Trendline.

deathwish2
08-09-2002, 07:49 AM
They used to be based in Revere, MA, but Trend-lines is no more. WWWH however, is alive and well!

There may be someone else in the central or western US who takes the same goods and puts their own third party 'Private Label" on them, but not that is related to the current company.

From Hoovers.com . . .

"Woodworkers Warehouse has certain virtues, but it also has plenty of vises and other tools. The specialty retailer of woodworking equipment and accessories operates about 100 Woodworkers Warehouse stores in 10 northeastern states from Delaware to Maine. The company, formerly a subsidiary of Trend-Lines, sells both brand name and private-label tools (under the Reliant, Vulcan, and Carb-Tech names). Trend-Lines filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in 2000, but it emerged from it in 2001 and was absorbed by Woodworkers Warehouse. Trend-Lines once sold golf equipment and clothing through a catalog and about 80 Golf Day stores, but those operations were sold or closed."

--Deathwish

When it comes to
woodworking and buying
tools, I always think back to
my grandfathers advice on
golf . . . "it's not the arrows,
it's the indian.''

daveferg
08-09-2002, 08:31 AM
Used to get a Trendlines catalog, as regular as a paycheck (now both seemed to have stopped :D :D ). Prior to them being bought up---they really started raising their prices---so just check the prices at WW' before you buy.

Trendlines was a good catalog and a crumby web site---and still is---tried to do a search---petty junk under Reliant (which Trendlines advertised all the time).

Don't hold your breath waiting on the catalog---took me 4 tries before they even sent one---too bad, cause Reliant is a good alternative for the newbie or budget conscious---Couldn't swear to it, but I'm almost sure I saw Reliant stationary tools in one or the other local tool stores here in N. Calif.---