PDA

View Full Version : Bosch 1619EVS router mounted to Bosch RA1171 router table

LBrandt
05-25-2006, 03:42 PM
Hello,
I have a Bosch RA1171 router table, and I am still looking for the best router for it. I'm intersted in the Bosch 1619EVS 3 1/4 HP plunge router, and I have a question about mounting that router in my RA1171 table. It has to do with the dimensions of the Bosch RA1171 router table and the Bosch 1619EVS router. According to the Bosch website, the 1619EVS router is 13 1/2 inches tall. When I measure the inside of my Bosch RA1171 router table, I get just about the same 13 1/2 inches from the bottom "floor" of the table to the top of the mounting plate. That worried me a little, so I called Bosch CS. They assured me that even though the router will sit very close to the floor, that it will fit. I know that when you mount the router in the table, you remove the router's subbase, but this would still seem to be a very, very close fit. Has anyone installed a Bosch 1619EVS router in a Bosch RA1171 router table? If you have, I'd appreciate hearing from you as to how close to the floor the motor sits and whether you've had any problems with this router/table combination.
Louis

woodchuck1954
05-26-2006, 01:57 PM
Personally, I would buy the 1617EVSPK kit, then you have a multi-function router set. The varible speed is more important than the added amps. Three passes with a raised panel bit will work.

If you insist on the 1619, you might be able to add highth with 2x's on each side of the legs. Two more inches will give you more clearance.

LBrandt
05-26-2006, 03:45 PM
Hello,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've also been looking at the 1617EVSPK, and I like it very much too. It's just that I don't want to buy it and later find out that I need more power for the larger bits, etc. Like the 1617EVSPK, the 1619EVS also has variable speed.
As for adding 2x's on the sides to increase the height, I've thought of that, but I hope that I won't have to do that. Bosch has assured me that the router will fit my Bosch table, but I'm just not quite convinced, and no matter where I get the router (Amazon, etc.), it will have to be a mail order, since my local stores don't carry it. I'm not crazy about the idea of ordering one, then finding out that it won't fit.
Louis

woodchuck1954
05-28-2006, 01:25 PM
I have a Freud 15 amp plunger and a 1617EVSPK. I use the Bosch because the panel bit doesn't fit on the Freud. It has plenty of power.

bobha8
05-28-2006, 05:33 PM
I have the 1619, if you are buying it just for the table it is a mighty fine router. But if you plan on using it out of the table too be warned it is a beast. I am a fairly big guy and tried to use it out of the table but never again. It will stay in the table the rest of it's life.

Bob

Koanalu
05-28-2006, 06:34 PM
I agree with Woodchuck. I have the larger RA1180 Bosch router table with the 1617EVSPK and there's plenty of power. What I like is the versatility of the combo kit. I leave the fixed-base mounted in the table and use the plunge base hand held. It's like having two routers and changing bases is no problem at all. The fixed base has a good micro adjust knob on it which is easily accessible from under the table even when mounted. But then again, I have a diferent table than you do. My table is pretty big and so I have plenty of room. With the plunge base attached, you can use it free hand and it's not so big that you have to struggle with it. For that small table you have, I'd definitely go with the 1617 combo kit.

My only beef was when I tried to mount the router sub-base plate to the table insert plate. Major PITA because the manual gave the wrong instructions. There are so many holes in the table insert plates and the sub-base plate, that it was like trying to match a puzzle.

Another thing I didn't like was that the router didn't come with a dust collector hook-up. I think it's available as an option, but it sure would've been nice if they added it with the router. It's only a damn piece of plastic! How much more could it have cost them to add it?

LBrandt
05-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Koanalu,
I couldn't find the RA1180 at my local Lowe's, so I got the RA1171 instead. But based on what I've seen in pictures and dimensions, the RA1171 is about the same size (width, length and height) as the RA1180. The only difference that I can see is that the 1180 has an aluminum top, and my 1171 has an MDF top, and the 1180 has an open look to it, whereas my 1171 has three sides and a front door. I'm glad to hear that you like the 1617EVSPK, as it's the one that I've been leaning toward.
Louis

woodchuck1954
05-28-2006, 07:45 PM
You can also purchase a third base, for the 1617 router, that is strictly for use in a router table. It has a crank handle for raising, above the table. I don't know the model number, but have seen it at: www.internationaltool.com

woodchuck1954
05-28-2006, 07:53 PM
The base # is BOSRA1164-$69.99
The handle is seperate, #BOSRA1002-$14.95

P.S. International Tool is selling the 1617EVSPK for $209.99

Koanalu
05-28-2006, 10:16 PM
Yeah Lowes doesn't sell the 1180. I got mine at HD with a 20% off coupon which sold me even more. They don't sell the 1617EVSPK at your local Lowes? That's where I bought mine from, also using a HD 20% coupon. Lowes has it online and I think you can arrange for store pick-up. Another thing you should look into to save money, is a factory reconditioned one. I know people are leery of buying reconditioned tools, but in some cases, they are brand new tools never used. And if they are used, they are refurbished to as new and comes with warranty. I've bought reconditioned tools online before and still look into when I can. A reconditioned 1617EVSPK at Amazon is $169.95. Not a bad deal I would say.