PDA

View Full Version : Saw choice

JKef
03-20-2001, 08:28 AM
I'm new to this, but I'm finishing my basement and am wondering about saw choice...table or mitre. For general carpentry, which type of saw do I want? What are bthe basic applications of a table saw? Limitations? Can I cut a 1x8x8 in half, for instance, or do I need a mitre saw for that?

WoodMangler
03-20-2001, 09:29 AM
Really depends on what you wanna do...if all you wanna do is crosscut pieces of wood in half and make semi-accurate miters, then a miter saw will work. You won't be able dados of any length to speak of, or rip wood to width. Table saw is pretty versatile, and is usually the backbone of a workshop. Can you cut an 8' piece in half on a tablesaw?...yep...with a good extended miter gauge or crosscut jig...no problem at all.
Marc

MadMark
03-20-2001, 09:56 AM
Keyword is "carpentry". A sliding CMS is a great jobsite tool.

If you're going to make furniture, then you'll need a TS.

The underlying question is are you going to need to RIP lumber? If all you're going to do is crosscuts, then a CMS is perfect. If you want to cross cut and rip, then you'll need a TS.

Don't get a bench TS, go for a contractors at least. Get a good carbide combo blade (most blades that come with saws aren't worth mounting.)

M