PDA

View Full Version : Spiral Legs

Randy Foltz (Guest)
06-13-2001, 11:35 AM
Is there a tool, machine or jig for making spiral legs? (I have a router, table saw, radial arm saw & shaper.) If not, does anyone have a plan for making a jig to make spiral legs? I am a fairly well experienced amateur but my purse isn't bottomless, so I'm looking for something reasonably affordable.
Thanks

rrich
06-14-2001, 12:36 AM
Randy,
If you think of the way that a metal lathe is used to cut threads, there is a similar device used with wood. Except that you wouldn't be cutting threads. I saw this thing in a magazine some 15-20 years back. (Popular Science, maybe. It definitely wasn't a wood working magazine. It was more editorial content rather than advertising.) This thing was designed to take a router and move the router in synchronization with the rotation of a piece of stock. I have the impression that this thing had rails for the router to slide on and the router movement was cable driven. The user had to supply the router. The features of this device were that it was a lathe replacement that could also do spirals.

Two prices come to mind, $85 and $500. I can't remember which. However the $85 then would be about $500 today. Maybe someone else can remember the name of the device that I'm calling 'thing' and if we're lucky even the company that makes it. I know that I would like to cut some consistent spiral pieces.

Rich

Marilyn (Guest)
06-14-2001, 01:09 AM
I took a 2 hour course on routers at HomeDepot and the gentleman that taught the course had a jig that fit around a piece of wood and then you handturned a crank to make the bit cut a spiral around the piece. He said it came from Sears but he had had it quite a while. I don't know if they still sell anything like it. He brought in several pieces of furniture that he had made with it and they were very nice.

Phil B (Guest)
06-14-2001, 06:22 AM
The name of the Sears "thing" is the RouterCrafter I believe, I don't know if they still sell it.

The other tool that will do this is the Legacy Ornamental Mill. I have one of these and you can read about it on my web page if you wish.

You can also buy spiral parts.

PMB http://benchmark.20m.com

Wood Butcher
06-14-2001, 01:09 PM
Go get yourself a copy of the book ROuter Magic. By Bill Hylton. Has a device for doing that. PLans, and instructions I beleive.

Sucessfully Making Beautiful wood into sawdust since 1985.

Marilyn (Guest)
06-14-2001, 06:17 PM
Phil,
Thanks for coming up with the name!! I was gonna call it a thingamajig but thought that might sound like too technical.:) When that guy used it it really did work well(for him anyway) I was surprised...

rrich
06-15-2001, 11:36 PM
Phil,
I admire both your WordSmithing and your Woodworking. That support bench for the Leagacy Mill is quite a project! Really done well.
Rich

Phil B (Guest)
06-16-2001, 05:58 AM
The "support bench" is actually a very simple project. I'll modify the drawings a little and post them to my web site at some point.

Thanks for viewing.

PMB
http://benchmark.20m.com

woodworking.com
12-03-2001, 07:01 AM
I am carving a psiral on 4 cheery table legs. Best ideas for laying out the spiral?

woodworking.com
12-03-2001, 07:05 AM
I just embarrassed myself by posting a question with misspelled words. First time doing this so let's try that again. I am carving spirals on 4 cherry 6x6 table legs. Any ideas of how to lay out the spirals?

Rboss75
12-10-2001, 09:59 PM
Sears does still sell the Router Crafter. Its on page 165 of the 2000-2001 catalog. I have one and it works great. You must take your time and be patient when attempting to lay out the spirals. I have made some beautiful spiral spindles with it.

Good Luck
Ross

bubba blue
12-11-2001, 12:50 AM
http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/images/articles/32399-4.jpg
Not sure if this is what you're looking for but in the current issue (Dec. 2001) of Woodworkers Journal, there's an article showing how they made a spiral cut using a drill press, & router.

1) Lay out spiral pattern
2) Drill out un-needed wood
3) Route out excess wood to round the sprial edges

This was done on a pretty tight spiral. Not sure how tight you want your spiral to be.

Bubba.

Rick C
12-11-2001, 01:36 AM
Only a drillpress is needed for this type of spiral. A router bit mounted in the drillpress was used, but not the router itself. If the spiral is large enough, a small drum sander can be used to clean the edges. (This is what I used to create the larger version of the spiral. The candle holder is shown up front, and its big brother is on the lathe.)

http://waterfront-woods.home.att.net/tempgraphics/spiral.jpg