PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw tires on an OLD Craftsman

RedFlash
02-24-2005, 09:38 AM
I have a vintage Craftsman bandsaw. It is a 3 wheel design, and the tires are quite a bit smaller than any I see for replacements. Can I buy a few tires, cut them at an angle to fit my wheels and get decent results? What glue would I use to adhere them? The saw uses a 62" blade, fyi. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sawduster
02-24-2005, 09:51 AM
Bandsaw tires generally stretch to fit over the wheels. Don't know what sort of results you would get.

That being said, Sears has generally been pretty good about stocking repair and replacement parts for their tools, so, with the model info in hand you might venture to the parts site here:

http://www3.sears.com/

and check to see if they might stock tires for your bandsaw.

RedFlash
02-24-2005, 10:03 AM
Thanks , I'll go look, but it's from the late 40's early 50's! They do have a drawing and parts list for my '49 lathe, but none of the parts are actually available. My wheels are ~8" in diameter, smaller than anything I've seen yet.

Cody Colston
02-24-2005, 10:15 AM
If you have a Sears parts store nearby then take the model no./serial no. over there and they can tell you if the parts are available any longer and may even have them in stock. I got tires that way for an old 12" Craftsman I once owned.

I had also never changed any band saw tires before and actually took the ones back that I got thinking they were too small. The lady assured me that the tires were correct for the model no. I gave her. I went back home and got them on but really had to stretch the things to get them onto the wheels. They worked like a champ until I eventually replaced the saw and gave it away.

Cody

RedFlash
02-24-2005, 10:21 AM
Yes, RY, that's my saw! Mine is grey, though. Looks like the same style, anyhow. Top and bottom wheel, then the third one is in the rear, middle, drive wheel. External motor and belt drive. Works like a champ, but the tires are beat. They are not continuous ones, they probably are not original equipment.

RedFlash
02-24-2005, 10:32 AM
Ry, I'm sure my model number will be on it wherever yours is, do you know where yours is? And yes, they're identical other than exterior color! Thanks for the pic! I also have one piece my Dad took off it because it was annoying. Over the blade guide there is a jewelled piece of aluminum. I have it stashed somewhere. I put it back on once and found it annoying, too.

Super Ry
02-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Same here - hilarious. The model #'s on the back (if memory serves). Sears didn't support this number, but like I said one of the good folks at owwm.com gave me their number which was different than mine and was supported by Sears. All the parts were a match to mine. Think it was cuz mine and prolly yours were made from King Sealy Corp for Sears. They were typically noted for the jewled piece of aluminum you mentioned. Heres the site that I posted on owwm.com

http://www.owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?id=1724

And heres some guidance on the King Sealy co

http://www.owwm.com/MfgIndex/detail.asp?ID=497

If I'm wrong on the King Sealy bit - sorry, nose around owwm.com and I'm sure you'll find all that you need - just like this place, you'll find good helpful folks over there.

Bryson B
02-24-2005, 11:49 AM
Suffolk is a good place to start with tires. Your tires might be special order. $$$$$
http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/

Back in the days gone by, you could buy "tires" by the lineal foot & cut to fit the wheels as you described.

For glue; I've had the best luck with 3M Super 77. It comes in an aerosol can.

Bryson

Super Ry
02-25-2005, 11:30 PM
Hey there - sorry for the late response.

Heres the number I got off one of the good folks at owwm.com

"I own a Craftsman by King-Sealey 3-wheel band saw model 103.24300. I was manufactured in 1951 and appears to be the same or very similar to yours. I ordered replacement parts, including tires, blade guides, and the 62 inch blades off the Sears web site. "

I also received this e-mail

"Your saw IS a King-Seeley, as indicated by the "103" prefix on the model
number. Sears-Roebuck and/or Sears-Simpson didn't make anything themselves.

I have one of these machines, too, but mine is the older version with roller
bearings on the wheels. Believe me, your bearings aren't babbit, but bronze
bushings. Babbit bearings are huge, with bolted-on caps and oil cups.

Anyway, my saw also needed tires. So, I went down to the local vacuum
cleaner shop and bought three each of the biggest vacuum cleaner beater bar
drive belts that they had. Just like with regular bandsaw tires, it wasn't
easy to stretch them on, but they worked great! If the ones you get are too
wide, you might have to trim their width down after you install them on the
wheels."

Hope this helps - Enjoy the little saw - they are GOOD ONES!! :)

Super Ry
06-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Coool! Does yours look like mine?

I found that one of the fellas on Old Woodworking Machines .com gave me a model number that wasn't the same as mine BUT matched up all the parts. Think it was cuz mines from Canada. How it made it down to the AZ Mexico boarder I'll never know. If you need the number, lemme knwo as I'll have to get it from my home computer.

Super Ry
06-02-2010, 09:11 AM
Heres the inards of it. I'll try and get the model number on my lunch break.