PDA

View Full Version : What exactly is 'Brown Maple'?

Mike
05-06-2003, 12:16 PM
There is a local lumber supplier selling 4/4 brown maple for $1.20/bf. What exactly is brown maple? I have had no luck researching it anywhere on the web so I thought I'd ask the experts. They also sell hard sap maple for $3/bf. Is brown maple just soft maple?

Thanks,
Mike

aawood
05-06-2003, 02:13 PM
That would be my guess. But it is only a guess.

TDHofstetter
05-06-2003, 11:45 PM
Brown maple?

Brown maple?

Boy, that's "stumped" me.

Where (what area of what country) do you live? That might give us a better clue.

-- Tim --

Each of us
Is ultimately
Completely responsible
For our own interaction
With the world around us.

Mike
05-07-2003, 08:30 AM
I live in Essex Junction, VT. Here is the link to their website. Not much info though.

http://www.morsehardwoods.com/lumber/hardwoods.shtml

I plained a board to see the grain and it looks like maple (small pores and fine wondering grain) with a tan/brownish tint. Also, there are significant tone variations across most boards although nothing like the darks and lights seen in poplar. It appears to be about as hard as soft maple using my finger nail to dent the surface. Definitely a hardwood.

Thanks,
Mike

TDHofstetter
05-09-2003, 10:11 PM
I'm gonna have to drop by over there now & take a peek myself. You do realize, don't you, that you practically live in my back pocket?

I'm betting that "brown maple" is some sort of import hardwood, as are many of the other woods listed on that page.

Humm... they might do a spellcheck of that page, by the way. I think they meant "reknowned" instead of "renknown". :)

-- Tim --

Each of us
Is ultimately
Completely responsible
For our own interaction
With the world around us.

glen
05-10-2003, 06:52 AM
Hi Neighbors

I've heard of "brown maple" before and have heard of it referred to as "nut maple" and even "nut brown maple". It strictly refers to the color or tone aspect of the wood. I realy don't recall the specifics
but it has to do with where it grew (more tanic acid than normal)and time of year it was harvested. It's not inferior in any way but I do know it takes stains easier probably due to the higher than normal level of tanic acid having an effect. It usualy ends up being used for
crap projects; ie pallets because the honey colored maple is what is sought after.

FYI - I won't be partaking in the old man ceremonies today, I hate wakes. And I dislike those roadside shrines people leave. Granted it's a NH icon, but it's a ROCK. Oh well; as long as I don't have to be a paul-bearer, yikes!(sp).

FWIW
Glen - NH

TDHofstetter
05-10-2003, 10:44 PM
Now you've gone & busted me up pretty hard, Glen! :) :) :)

-- Tim --

If you expect too much,
You will be
Satisfied with nothing.
If you lower your expectations,
You can be satisfied
With
Nothing.
All the difference
Between nothing
And
Nothing
Is due to your
Expectations.

Stephen Shepherd
05-11-2003, 06:00 PM
You can do a test to determine soft or hard maple. Make up some 'iron buff' a mixture of iron filings and vinegar, allow to stand overnight.

Put a drop of iron buff on the maple, if it is hard maple it turns green under the drop, if it turns blue it is soft maple.

http://www.ilovewood.com/ironbuff.jpg

Stephen

Burt
05-11-2003, 06:10 PM
This is strictly a guess. Maple is sometimes sorted to provide a uniform white grade. Perhaps, brown maple is the left over material.

TDHofstetter
05-11-2003, 10:42 PM
There's a good thought. Heartwood vs. sapwood or some such.

Possibly.

Thanks for piping (or "Burting") up. :)

-- Tim --

If you expect too much,
You will be
Satisfied with nothing.
If you lower your expectations,
You can be satisfied
With
Nothing.
All the difference
Between nothing
And
Nothing
Is due to your
Expectations.

Zeke
05-12-2003, 10:34 AM
I finally got hold of someone over there at Morse Hardwoods that told me that brown maple is hard maple heartwood. I'm going to make a small bookcase with it so I'll see how it works.

Thanks for all the input.

Mike

Andrew
05-12-2003, 11:01 AM
well this has cleared a mystery up for me. I sawed up a bunch of hardwood pallets I found and couldnt figure out what wood it was. It looked like maple but was to dark. reading this post I realize it is brown maple. It had alot of funny grain and defects in it but once I cut around them I got some nice looking wood. I made a standing lamp out of it that looks great, used tung oil to finnish it and it really brought out the heavy figure in the wood. the brown maple looks better in that piece than if I had used "proper" maple.

Andrew

burt
05-12-2003, 02:58 PM
In my opinion that goes in the same column with a frog having a glass a##.