PDA

View Full Version : Nail Finder

BillR
05-01-2001, 11:45 AM
I am just getting into woodworking. The kids bought me a planer for Christmas. Before I start working on the old barn wood I have to locate a nail finder. What is the opinion of the group on a good metal locater. BillR

Lou_williams
05-01-2001, 11:54 AM
this is a link to the one I have and it works great.

http://shop.woodcraft.com/woodcraft/product_family.asp?family%5Fid=3820&pf%5Fid=&mscssid=1QVQGXJ5NTGF8PFL6QADKRW4WMAHDJQB

BillR
05-01-2001, 11:58 AM
You find it sensitive enough to pick up the small pieces. I like the price.

Lou_williams
05-01-2001, 12:04 PM
Its sensitivity is adjustable, and it has worked for everything I used it for. At the highest sensitivity if found metal in the cabinet below my work bench.

dicklaxt
05-01-2001, 01:37 PM
You know this is kind of ironic that this post came up today. I visited a rustic furniture place about 4 miles from my home this morn. It has been there for four years and I didn't know it. They are making tables from old buildings of all kinds and as we were talking I asked if they used some sort of metal detector to find the nails and they replyed no it is easier to change saw ,planer and jointer blades than it is to spend the time looking for nails. It is a 4 man operation. They also said they hit very few nails even tho they are there.

They had a powermatic cabinet saw(old)with an Incra fence,a 20" planer (very old), a new miter saw as well as an ancient 8"jointer.All of there joinery was pocket screws reinforced with wood blocks, legs to stretcher. They really worked the lumber over distressing it.Tops were sanded splinter free with 7 coats of hand rubbed oil, and bottoms left as they came from buildings table size was 3' x 6' with straight 3" sq. legs and are selling for $900.00 and they are having trouble keeping up with orders.

Look at www.hawkinsfurniture.com

The chairs they buy unfinished and finish them.

Dick

BillR
05-02-2001, 06:30 AM
Well, I just ordered it. Now comes the fun of trying to get all those nails out.

BillR
05-02-2001, 06:31 AM
Well, I just ordered it. Now comes the fun of trying to get all those nails out.