PDA

View Full Version : Help with Turkey Buzzards

Boodrow53
03-24-2009, 07:52 PM
I know this sounds down rite strange. Me and the neighbors on either side of me have 2 acre lots. All 3 of us have the front acre cleared and the back acre still undeveloped. The buzzards roost in our pine trees in the wooded areas of our lots bout sundown. My prob is I have 2 or 3 buzzards that get on my roof every morn and walk around. Sounds like a wrestlin match according to the wife. There is something about my truck when it is parked in the drive they dont get on the roof. They are a protected bird so I cant shoot um although I have a remington 22 auto I can hit a gnat ##### at 50 paces with. But I understand its a 1500 dollar fine to kill one. My question is do they have nest in the pine trees? If so can I take my double barrel 16 gauge shotgun and blow the nest out of the trees? I found a piece of shingle in my back yard. Im afraid they are ripping my roof off.
Any suggestion on how to rid these vultures would be appreciated!
Boodrow

rhull
03-24-2009, 07:59 PM
Have you...ahhh...been in for a checkup with your doc recently?

WoodDrummer
03-24-2009, 08:14 PM
Well, since they are protected and you'd have a fine for killing them, I'd try to make sure they are well fed.

Take some raw beef, lace it with rat poison and lay it out.

TDHofstetter
03-24-2009, 08:15 PM
GEEZ I've got a memory of a turkey buzzard - I had JUST got up & walked to the back of the Step-Van we used for a work truck (electrician, Henry Electric in Lubbock), and a turkey buzzard came in through the passenger-side windshield pane. That was at 70 mph or pretty near it. Made one HECK of a mess. Good thing I wasn't still in that seat.

Ahem. We were saying.

How about paintballs? High-power water gun?

I'm pretty sure you'll get into a mess of trouble if you blow their nests outta' the trees - nests may contain eggs, and you may get six at a shot - that's nine thousand dollars worth of 16-gauge.

EDIT: Another idea: Put a lawn sprinkler up on the roof, and put it on one of those timer valves so it turns on every morning about when they arrive.

-- Tim --

Member of the
Robert "Limey" Bolton Memorial
International
Volunteer Mentorship and Assistance
Programme

dale armbruster
03-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Shot the bastages. Or, if you don't like one of the neighbors then shoot him and through him up on HIS roof then they'll go over there.

Paint balls could lots of fun. Us pink ones then they'll leave because all their friends will call them gay birds.

Dale

JoeLyddon
03-24-2009, 10:20 PM
Maybe they're mating... :)
Have you tried shining a bright light on them?
Spray the area they like with a mild Perfume solution & see what happens.
What does your truck smell like? Duplicate it and spray roof, etc.
Maybe they don't like some kinds of music...(?)

If nothing works, I guess the truck stays in the driveway! (?) :( :)

Have Fun!
Joe Lyddon
www.WoodworkStuff.net
My Small Gallery:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?ppuser=1389&cat=500

maxwell_smart007
03-24-2009, 11:18 PM
I used to have pidgeon problems...

I threw things at them and hosed them down with water enough times that the neighbour's house looked much more appealing to them after a while...

Would a weathervane (moving parts) mounted on your roof scare them off?

Cannon Fodder
03-24-2009, 11:28 PM
I like Tim's idea of a water sprinkler on a timer...although paint balls would be a lot more fun.

You can get those 2 foot tall statues of owls for scaring away smaller birds, although I don't know if a buzzard would be too worried about an owl.

John

An investment in knowledge always pays the best interest.
- Ben Franklin

Cody Colston
03-25-2009, 04:25 AM
We "camp" at Brookshire's recreation area on Lake Palestine. The caretaker there said the buzzards were destroying the roofs on people's campers that were left there unattended. (two week limit) I guess they like roofs for some reason.

I'd contact Texas Parks and Wildlife and see if they have any suggestions. If they can't come up with a way to get rid of them, I'd shoot the buzzards. You have a right to protect your home, too.

Cody
Tyler, TX

[b]The expert at anything was once a beginner.[center]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c89/CColston/thCandle.jpg

CajunRider
03-25-2009, 05:09 AM
I second Tim idea. Buy a security light with a motion detector. Hook it up to a solenoid sprinler valve and put the sprinkler on the roof. When they come they'll be blasted with water.

Boodrow53
03-25-2009, 05:42 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions! Short of shooting the bastages I will try some of ur suggestions,
Boodrow

doug_d
03-25-2009, 08:33 AM
Get one of these.

http://www.nixalite.com/scarecrow.aspx?gclid=CPTgxKKYvpkCFQ8gDQodMwkc5g

A friend of mine uses them with good success.

Doug

Cameron
03-25-2009, 09:20 AM
Yes, they are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA), and no, you can't do anything to the nest during the breeding season. That is protected too. If there is a nest, you can remove it AFTER the young have fledged from the nest. That's not to say that they wouldn't come back and build again in the same place (I've seen it with other raptors). For dealing with your roof problem, I like the motion-activated sprinkler system and strongly recommend against the poison laced meat. You can get yourself into a big peck of trouble going down that road--killing your neighbors' pets or other non-target, more heavily protected, species. If they are only using one area of your roof, you could use some bird spike strips. But more than likely, they're using the entire roof, so try the sprinkler.

Mike

brburns
03-25-2009, 03:36 PM
I think the real question is how to come up with $3000 to pay your fines.

Boodrow53
03-25-2009, 07:02 PM
One thing I dont get if they are gettin scarce why dont somebody come get the dozens of um that roost here? Not kiddin if I walk from the shop to the house around sundown I dont dare look up , never had buzzard chit on me that I know of but with as many that is flyin around tis bound to happen and the reason I dont look up is dont want it in the face, That will make me real mad. I havent pulled out my mini 14 latley but it does a nice job.
Boodrow

Boodrow53
03-26-2009, 06:47 PM
i talked with a game warden today, SHE reminded me they are protected and in no way shoot one of um. She did ask if I live in the city or outside the city limits , I answered Im no in the city. She ask if I had a gun , I told her yes ma'am I do , she said shoot away from the birds when they come into roost , BUT DONT SHOOT THE BIRDS. Got my ole 2barreled 16 gauge ready to go , waitin on the vultures to show this eve. Tis goin to be hard to shoot up in the air without a target. Maybe a tree hugger will come help me.
Boodrow

Cody Colston
03-26-2009, 07:06 PM
Boodrow, you need to build a wooden replica of your truck so that you can leave it in the drive permanently. Be sure and throw a bunch of dead soldiers in the bed so it will look authentic. :)

Cody
Tyler, TX

[b]The expert at anything was once a beginner.[center]http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c89/CColston/thCandle.jpg

brburns
03-27-2009, 05:45 AM
"One thing I dont get if they are gettin scarce why dont somebody come get the dozens of um that roost here?"

I don't think it is a matter of them being scarce but more that they provide a valuble service. They clean up all the road kill. I think that is why they protect them.

Sonny Edmonds
03-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Get you some blanks.
Or have some loaded for you.
Black powder would give you some options.
A Black powder gun can have a lot of smoke, and no poke loaded into it.

But keep you mouth closed when you look up. :9

Boodrow53
03-28-2009, 09:21 PM
The last 2 eves I have scared the bastages with my double barrel 16 gauge shot gun. Only prob is my right shoulder is sore big time! But all in all it does run um off.
Boodrow

stretch2187
03-28-2009, 10:06 PM
I had the thought of using dry ice "bombs". They make a nice loud boom.

JoeLyddon
03-28-2009, 10:59 PM
How do you make a 'dry ice' bomb?

Sounds good!

Have Fun!
Joe Lyddon
www.WoodworkStuff.net
My Small Gallery:

stretch2187
03-29-2009, 12:12 AM
They're really easy. Get some dry ice. (you can usually buy it at a supermarket) Take an empty 2 liter bottle. Put about a cup of water in it. Put a few chunks of dry ice in the bottle and cap it tightly. Get a good distance away from it rather quickly. The dry ice (solid CO2) sublimates into gaseous CO2 and builds up enough pressure to burst the bottle making a very loud boom. There is a risk of plastic shrapnel and if you do it inside a mailbox its a federal case, but with adult supervision they are quite fun, and are a great illustration for teaching chemistry and physics (except they won't let you do it anymore).

EnoughClamps
03-29-2009, 12:58 AM
"and if you do it inside a mailbox..."

Sounds like first or second hand knowledge. :+

" its a federal case...."

That takes the fun out of it.

Enough Clamps,
But No Glue... :)

CajunRider
03-29-2009, 05:20 AM
>it's a federal case...

But if you do it in a garbage can, it's not and it's a lot more fun. }>

Sonny Edmonds
03-29-2009, 12:07 PM
Now where in hell am I going to find Adult Supervision?
I don't know any.

JoeLyddon
03-29-2009, 12:19 PM
OK, that makes sense... I thought it was going to be more sophisticated, with trigger control, etc. :) :)

I've always had fun with dry CO2... I think the last time I played with it was on Halloween inside of a pumpkin... saucer of water & dry ice... made it really cool with the clouds coming from it's mouth, eyes, etc. Enough to really scare!

Have Fun!
Joe Lyddon
www.WoodworkStuff.net
My Small Gallery: