PDA

View Full Version : Safe to burn?

MR
05-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Just wondering if it's safe to burn pine scraps in an indoor fireplace? I'm talking scrap pieces of 2x4, small pieces of lumber from the BORG, etc.

Thanks!

rrich
05-12-2009, 07:14 PM
In short, yes. HOWEVER you will need you chimney swept about once a season to remove the creosote that builds up from burning pine sap.

arcticfox46
05-12-2009, 08:01 PM
YES - you can.

The cresote build up is not a problem with kiln dried pine, or WELL seasoned pine firewood.

I will caution you though - that it IS a fast HOT fire. Do it only a little at a time.

I burn LOTS of pine.

You would be suprised at the things I have burned in the wood stove. All the stuff they tell you NOT to. I have burned plywood, painted wood.

Since I got the new stove - I will not burn painted wood any more.

DO NOT burn Pressure Treated in the house.

But go ahead with the pine scraps - in moderation.

Also -- yes you should clean you chimney once per year regardless of what you burn.

JoeLyddon
05-12-2009, 08:09 PM
Warning: Do not try to burn MDF or Particle Board... it STINKS & Smokes!

I didn't think plywood burnt good & have stayed away from it... guess I'll try it to find out!

I also stay away from painted wood...

We have a pine tree in front yard and collect pine cones for kindling... I call them natures Fuzz-Sticks.

No problem burning Pine.

Have Fun!
Joe Lyddon
Alta Loma, CA.
www.WoodworkStuff.net
My Small Gallery:
http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/showgallery.php?ppuser=1389&cat=500

TDHofstetter
05-12-2009, 08:54 PM
Yes - with all the other warnings, and... USE A SCREEN! Some of that stuff pops REALLY badly, and will throw burning embers in your LAP!

-- Tim --

Member of the
Robert "Limey" Bolton Memorial
International
Volunteer Mentorship and Assistance
Programme

JoeLyddon
05-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Very good point!

Have Fun!
Joe Lyddon
Alta Loma, CA.
www.WoodworkStuff.net
My Small Gallery:

Sawduster
05-13-2009, 08:13 AM
Modern wood stoves are a different animal all together than is a fireplace or old fashioned pot belly stove. Their efficiency is much greater and they burn hotter because of that efficiency than a fireplace. Even kiln dried pine will gum up a fireplace flue while the higher heat of the modern wood stove burns the pine tars so they don't stick to the flue.

When we sold Christmas trees years ago we had some folks come out after Christmas offering to haul away as many of our left over trees as they could load onto their trailer. Since it cost us money to haul the trees to the city's tree mulcher, we gave them all they could take. I asked what they were going to do with them, and they said they would burn them in their wood stove. Thinking they would need to trim the branches from the trunks and then let the trunks dry for a year or two, I asked about all of the work involved for the little bit of wood they would get. They said they only had to cut them into lengths that would fit and that they tossed it all into the stove, needles small branches and all. Said that the fire got hot enough that even the wet wood and needles would be almost totally consumed.

arcticfox46
05-13-2009, 11:12 AM
I burned a christmas tree in my wood stove ONE time.

I will NEVER NEVER do THAT again.

Sawduster
05-13-2009, 11:43 AM
You're supposed to take the decorations and tinsel and such off before you put it in the fire. :)

Although they called it a wood stove, I'm thinking these folks had some sort of sealed furnace they used for heating the whole house. Probably had a blower or something to bring in fresh air under a bit of pressure to the combustion chamber to get it really flaming.

arcticfox46
05-13-2009, 08:55 PM
They just FLARE up to an uncontrolable level WAY too fast.

I would never recommend burning those things.

Well - in a camp fire - bonefire - maybe - but not in the house.

Also - the point that was made about a woodstove fire being hotter and keeping the chimney cleaner than an open fireplace fire is a very valid point. I did miss that.

In fact - I do burn my woodstove pretty doggone HOT - for that very reason - to keep the chimney burned out.

Still - good dry pine is OK to burn.

JoeLyddon
05-14-2009, 10:52 AM
You're supposed to cut the limbs off & cut them into pieces FIRST... :)

One should NEVER put a whole tree into a fireplace, etc.

The lights and wiring should also be removed. :) :)

Have Fun!
Joe Lyddon
Alta Loma, CA.
www.WoodworkStuff.net
My Small Gallery: