PDA

View Full Version : Cypress Wood Splitting

Braveheart4912
06-22-2005, 08:22 AM
I picked up a slice of cypress wood, 5 inches thick and 35 inches in diameter, from a tree that had been recently cut down. My plan is to keep the bark on and make a table top out of it. I noticed other pieces of wood had split. Is there anything I can do to help prevent this from happening?

rhull
06-22-2005, 08:40 AM
When you say splitting, are you talking about checking on the ends of the log? This happens due to moisture escaping from the wood. It escapes quicker at the endgrain than anywhere else on the wood, and the unequal distribution of moisture loss causes the cracks. Anchorseal is a very popular product used to help prevent checking by evening out the loss of moisture through the wax emulsion. You can get it from:

https://www.uccoatings.com/uccoat.php

Danford C Jennings
06-22-2005, 08:43 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Well, that's kind of a tough one to answer...Sounds like it's a "slab". What I suspect is happening is that the pieces of wood that are splitting are doing so because the moisture in the wood is leaving rapidly, causing end splitting and possible checking as well.

How the mills prevent this is by keeping logs saturated either with a sprinkler system or using a pond until they go to the debarking and sawyers sheds. From there they go to the kiln or are stickered for air drying before they are dimensioned. The ends of the boards are painted with a heavy oil based paint or parifin to help reduce end splitting.

In your case, dealing with a 5" thick slab and trying to save the bark is somewhat problematic; air drying the slab will take about 5 years if the rule of thumb is followed, there is no quarantee that the bark will stay intact.

Dano

Sawduster
06-22-2005, 03:23 PM
From your description, it sounds like you've got a full cross section of the tree stump, cut across the grain; rather than having the grain running parallel to the long dimension, the grain runs parallel to the five inch section. A large 5" thick disk of wood.

If that is the case, I wish you luck. As the wood dries, and you can only hope to slow that down, it is gonna shrink, splitting radially from the center out creating little pie shaped wedges.

Danford C Jennings
06-22-2005, 04:51 PM
I'm gonna have to get my eyes checked......didn't see the part about 35in diameter.....

Dano

Cody Colston
06-22-2005, 10:14 PM
> As the wood dries, and you can only hope to slow that down, it is gonna shrink, splitting radially from the center out creating little pie shaped wedges.

Jerry is correctamundo. Wood dries from the outside inward. As the outside gets dry it shrinks while the wetter inside cells don't...hence, radial checks.

Cody

What has been will be again,
what has been done will be done again;
there is nothing new under the sun.

Chris Moore
06-23-2005, 06:27 AM
>Is there anything I can do to help prevent this from happening?

in a word: No.

Chris Moore
West Palm Beach, FL

rhull
06-23-2005, 06:50 AM
>How the mills prevent this is by keeping logs saturated
>either with a sprinkler system or using a pond until they go
>to the debarking and sawyers sheds. From there they go to
>the kiln or are stickered for air drying before they are
>dimensioned. The ends of the boards are painted with a
>heavy oil based paint or parifin to help reduce end
>splitting.

If a person brings a slab like this to a local mill, is it possible to get them to kiln-dry the wood for you for a price? Or is that something that's simply not done?