PDA

View Full Version : Why does my Bosch jig Saw not cut perpendicular cuts..

Woodrow1
06-05-2007, 04:21 AM
I am using a Jig saw that has a roller guide that supposedly keeps the blade from moving side to side.
While cutting some 2x4 's this weekend, I noticed that the blade seemed to not be cutting straight down.
In other words, the cut was not perpendicular .
I ended up having to go over the cut a second time to shave off the bottom portion of the cut that seemed to slant out.

This used to happen with my old jig saw that did not have a roller guide, but I thought the roller was supposed to keep the blade perpendicular.

Was I going too fast and it pushed the blade "out" ?
Using the square, the blade looks like it is perpendicular.

Also, the bosch blade seemed to get dull rather quickly, is there some better brand of blades or way to keep them sharp?

Thanks for any advice.

StevePVB
06-05-2007, 07:00 AM
You didn't mention which model you have. I have the 1590EVS.

My footplate will turn 45 degrees either way. Turning the tool upside down you can read the bevel guage. If not zero then you won't get a perpendicular cut. Need to adjust it to zero.

Also, I tried to read your post carefully but might have missed something on the blade being perpendicular. Maybe you have already checked the bevel guage. If it is zero then I'm not sure what to say. There might be a trouble shooting section in the manual that I haven't had to read.

Woodrow1
06-05-2007, 09:01 AM
Its the 1587AVS model and it has a triangular "notching" device that is supposed to keep the plate and blade perpendicular.
Its possible that I did not have the blade in tight enough.

Has anyone else had a similar issue with "un-perpendicular cuts?

Thanks

dbriski
06-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Were you making a stright or curved cut? This happens a lot when making curved cuts when you are forcing the jig saw to turn rather than letting the blade cut and pivoting the saw slowly. If you were cutting a stright line did you use a stright edge to guide the jig saw? It's possible you were putting some side force on the jigsaw making it skew the blade. Try making your cut again, use a stright edge and keep the base plate against your stright edge, take the cut slow let the blade do the work don't force the saw forward.

I like the Bosch Blades, I use theirs in my Ridgid jig saw, haven't had any problems with them. They seem to be the best blade that fits my saw that I can get localy (big box).

beamerweb
06-05-2007, 10:51 AM
Lots of factors with a jigsaw in this regard ....

Overfeeding is a very common cause for blade deflection. You basically just want to keep feeding wood to that blade as it eats it up. At first, you'll feel like yer nibbling away at the wood, but eventually you'll get used to that speed/blade/material combination and it won't feel quite so awkward. What happens is that pushing it too fast doesn't allow the blade time to clear its gullets and something has to counteract that forward force, so the blade deflects. The next phase of this is usually burning, unless you're doing short cuts.

Another common cause is a dull blade. This is usually what makes people think they have to push harder to get the thing to cut. Quite the opposite, though. If the blade's getting dull, take it easy and you'll get a few more cuts out of it. Ultimately, though, it needs replacing.

Possibly the least obvious cause of blade drift is the actual choice in blade used. There's a reason for every blade geometry out there and if you're using a blade designed for operation X to do operation Y, you could easily fill those gullets up and the blade dulls/deflects.

Here's a couple sites that talk about blade selection, among other Jigsaw topics:

http://www.extremehowto.com/xh/article.asp?article_id=60232
http://www.rd.com/content/openContent.do?contentId=18223

TDHofstetter
06-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Also - too high a tooth count (too many teeth per inch) for the thickness of stock being cut can make for deflection, as the dust has noplace to go. Likewise, too thick stock for the length of the saw's stroke (the stroke MUST be at least as long as the stock is thick).

-- Tim --

Naked,
Green,
...and having a FIELD DAY...
:)

dcarter636
06-05-2007, 01:33 PM
I have that same saw and have had no perpendicularity issues in curved cuts through 2x framing lumber. Skewing is usually due to a dull blade being puhed until it deflects, or as Tim suggested too fine a blade that clogs and acts dull.

Tom Hintz
06-05-2007, 02:05 PM
It is really eashy to be applying a little side pressure when making cuts with a jigsaw. Put any side pressure on it and the cut grows an angle. Ever see the guys at the woodworking shows showing how nice their jigsaw cuts when guided only by the cord? You can't put any side pressure on when steering it with the cord. Of course you can't cut straight lines or follow curved lines very well, but it won't deflect the blade!
I have had to practice using a jigsaw to get myself to loosen up my grip on it and just guide the saw, not grab and steer it. that and good blades has made a ton of difference in cut quality. (I also use nothing but Bosch jigsaws, that helps also)

deathwish2
06-05-2007, 04:26 PM
Others have addressed your deflection issue, I'll just add that Bosch makes the best line of Jigsaw blades on the market. For cutting 2x stock though, you need to follow the advice above . . . low tooth count blades, and light pressure, backing off from time to time to clear the dust.

Woodrow1
06-05-2007, 09:44 PM
I was indeed pushing the blade rather than letting the blade do the work. I guess it was impatience. Gonna have to let it take its time.
The blade was a Bosch blade and also was fairly new.
Haste makes waste.
Thanks for the advice.
Regards
Woodrow

arcticfox46
06-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Woodrow,

I have a Bosch 1590vs. This is pretty much the same as your jig saw.

I HAD a Craftsman jig saw before.

The Bosch is FAR and above better than the Craftsman.

BUT - I have also noticed that is does not cut perpendicular to the surface.

I am sure there is an answer but honestly, I have not tried to fix it.

I would also be interested in the answer.

Though the listed replies are great advice - I don't think they answer the question. Maybe over the weekend I will look at mine and figure it out.

HAMMER23H
06-06-2007, 09:54 PM
Jigsaws are not very accurate. Just like recip saws. I have trouble getting either one to cut straight. Jig saw has about 1" stroke and any cut in lumber over 1" the blade doesn't clear itself and heats up and wanders. Also the sawdust doesn't get cleared out. A fairly good cut can be made in thinner material but for thicker material try to go with some other way to cut it. Sometimes there isn't any other way to cut something but with a jigsaw or a demolition saw. They will work but it takes a lot of patience.

Cody Colston
06-07-2007, 12:36 AM
Just for the record, let me say that I posed this same question about four years ago, shortly after I joined this forum. The answer that I got then hasn't changed...it's probably the user's fault.

Lateral presssure on the blade is probably the most common reason for angled cuts with the jigsaw. Even with a lower guide roller, every bit of the blade below the shoe is unsupported on the lower end and will easily deflect with lateral pressure.

A bent blade, blade not square with the shoe or using the wrong blade and bad technique can all lead to angled cuts.

For cutting wood, I use the Bosch T101B (10 tpi)for most cuts and the T119BO (12 tpi)for tight scrolling cuts.

If your saw has orbital motion settings, try setting it to 1 for fine cuts or maybe 2 on really thick stock. Use the 3 setting only for very rough cuts and stay away from the 0 setting - the blade tends to overheat.

I use a 18v cordless DeWalt jigsaw which I've seen get bad reviews, but I've learned to make very acceptable cuts with it by using a good sharp blade and not forcing the saw.

Cody
Tyler, TX

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep for that which he cannot lose.

Woodrow1
06-08-2007, 08:43 PM
I picked up some 10/12 and 28 tooth Bosch blades, total 30 blades for $19.
And, this weekend , I will apply some of your suggestions
Thanks

arcticfox46
06-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Woodrow,

I feel your pain.

Truly I do want to also get to the bottom of this.

I have been using jig saws for neigh unto over 30-40 years. Maybe I am still new to jig saws, huh? I have had great cuts with my OLD Bleak and Darker, and my OLD Craftsmen. When I got my Bosch 1590vs I could not get a square cut. Maybe I am too new to jig saws. Maybe I don't know how to use a jig saw?

Tomorrow is Saturday.

I am working on my Tool Chest and also trying to get my CNC router up and running. I would also like to get my Bosch Jig saw to make square cuts.

I do know the Bosch is a GREAT tool - maybe it just needs a little coaxing.

Lets see what the weekend brings, eh?

dcarter636
06-08-2007, 11:38 PM
Leo I think you make the case for operator error even though that might not have been your intent.

We've apparently tread a similar path on jig saws, I could never get the large B&D or Sears models to cut a straight line much less perpendicular; the barrel grip Bosch used in orbital mode has exceeded all my expectations in that department, next best was my tiny ancient all aluminum Skil jig saw.

Maybe the common advise about the best tool being the one that feels comfortable is applicable here.

Breaddrink
06-09-2007, 01:48 AM
Yup...

dull blades, stock that's too thick...forcing the cut while turning the jigsaw.

Rob.

arcticfox46
06-09-2007, 06:33 AM
Dave - on the contrary.

My Craftsman DID make straight and square cuts.

My Bosch makes finer cuts, and makes straight cuts but NOT square.

I may pull it out today, just because.

tpuzio
06-09-2007, 09:14 AM
why would you cut a 2x4 with a jig saw if you're cutting it to length? Curved cut, sure, but a straight cut? You'd have better luck with a regular old hand saw than a jigsaw if you want a straight cutoff.

Seems like you'd want to use a circular saw for this task. If you don't own one, and you plan on doing ANY other work with wood you might as well pick one up, they're relatively cheap and will save you lots of time especially if you have to use your jigsaw to cut sheets of plywood.

My answer to this type of problem is, what other tool do I not have, that will allow me to do the same task but without the problems I am having? Then I go buy that tool and save myself the headache.

dcarter636
06-09-2007, 10:04 AM
I understood what you wrote Leo. I had no such luck with jig saws that apparently performed better for you, and I can't say enough good about the saw model that won't cut square for you.

Maybe a classic case of different strokes for different folks. :)

arcticfox46
06-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Dave I agree. The Bosch is definately a superior saw. Being that it does not cut square for me has got to be an adjustment issue. I just have not looked at it yet to see what the problem is.

Please do not think I am knocking Bosch in any way - I am not. I am very pleased with it. I just need to get it to cut square. I am sure it will.

Woodrow1
06-09-2007, 01:12 PM
I would like to use another tool, or justify buying another one : ) ,
but, the 2x6 will fit onto a 4x4 so I need the jigsaw to do the job. I guess a band saw could do the trick, but I dont have one. Fortunately, this is not going to be visible so its not quite that critical.
Thanks all for your comments
On to the project....

zhangspievolgen
08-13-2013, 04:01 AM
Hi,

I ran into this thread when looking for a solution for a similar problem with my Skil jigsaw.
Lately when I cut a beam for my friend's table, I just recognised how un-perpendicular the blade was. In fact the plate has angle stops bevelled on it, but I can't precisely lock it, at 90 degree for instance. So after cutting a 5-cm-thick-bar, I found that the lower end of the cut was about 2-3mm off the track line. Ouch!
Just wonder if there is any additional balancing tool that can help with the adjustment...