PDA

View Full Version : Wild Cherry

hardboard
05-05-2008, 11:26 PM
I know if a cow eats wilted wild cherry leaves it will kill them . I wonder if you can make lumber out of wild cherry trees?

HAMMER23H
05-06-2008, 06:12 AM
I am pretty sure that what you are calling "wild cherry" is what most cherry lumber is. I live in central West Virginia and it is where a lot of the cherry lumber is grown. I have heard the story about wilted cherry leaves are deadly to cattle. Not sure what the toxic substance in them is but was told that it is acetalene. Some other tree such as apricot, peach and some other fruit tree have the same property. I have used my tractor to drag cherry tree that have blown down out of the field where there is cattle. It may be just an urban legend. I don't think that black, bing and other eating cherries make very good lumber.

TDHofstetter
05-06-2008, 08:07 AM
We've got a lot of black cherry up here - and that's what's sold here as "furniture cherry". Beautiful stuff. Now... we also have "pin cherry" in some places, and THAT seems worthless as lumber. It's dreadfully weak and coarse and uninteresting to look at.

I hadn't heard anything at all about cherry leaves; nobody here seems to pay 'em any mind at all, even with all the dairy cows roaming the woods.

-- Tim --

Member of the
Robert "Limey" Bolton Memorial
International
Volunteer Mentorship and Assistance
Programme

CajunRider
05-06-2008, 08:22 AM
The poison in the leaves is hydrocyanic (also called prussic) acid. The good thing is that most animals know to avoid them. As Tim said they make good lumber.

Sawduster
05-06-2008, 08:23 AM
I hadn't heard anything at all about cherry leaves; nobody here seems to pay 'em any mind at all, even with all the dairy cows roaming the woods.

Do you drink a lot of milk, Timmer? Could be the source of that 15 year long headache you mentioned. I never heard such either about any sort of cherry leaves.

krethjr
05-06-2008, 09:50 AM
Here's a research paper on the poisonous aspect of wilted cherry leaves if you want the details:

http://www.vet.purdue.edu/depts/addl/toxic/plant46.htm

Jim

arcticfox46
05-06-2008, 11:12 AM
VERMONT - is DAIRY farm country

Maybe that's why CABOTS Vermont Cheddar is so good.

Hmmmmmm - for that matter Ben & Jerrys Ice Cream is at the top of the list too.

Cody Colston
05-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Wild Cherry wood is highly toxic and is known to the State of California to cause cancer in lab rats and democrats. I suggest you cut the tree down to avoid having it propogate, saw the wood into planks and ship them to me here in East Texas.

Being Hazmat trained as a First Responder, I'll ensure the wood is handled in a safe manner and disposed of properly. If you are concerned about it ending up in a landfill and polluting our ground water, I'll even provide photos of it's final destination. :)

Cody
Tyler, TX

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep for that which he cannot lose.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c89/CColston/thCandle.jpg

brburns
05-06-2008, 03:48 PM
>Wild Cherry wood is highly toxic and is known to the State
>of California to cause cancer in lab rats and democrats. I
>suggest you cut the tree down to avoid having it propogate,
>saw the wood into planks and ship them to me here in East
>Texas.
>

Cody,

You forgot to have him kiln dry it so that the sap doesn't leak while in transit.

krethjr
05-06-2008, 05:44 PM
What's CA got to do with this thread? Not that I'm defending my liberal-##### home state, but the only cherry trees we see out here are Bing's and Japanese Flowering varieties both of which I thoroughly enjoy (except for the after efforts of 5lb's of Bing cherries).

For me, I'll just go up on my hill and cut up some of the Oak trees. Other than scrub pine and manzanita, that's about all I've got.

Jim

rhull
05-06-2008, 07:31 PM
The wild cherry near me makes for really pretty wood, but it grows up all leaning and twisty. I've got a small pile of logs stacked from a medium sized tree my neighbor and I felled that's been drying under my porch with sealed ends for a couple years. I tried resawing some short (2 foot) pieces, but even the short thick resawn pieces want to twist up like an East Texan at a Massachusetts democratic fundraiser. It makes for nice bowl blanks though.

Sachbvn
05-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Ben and Jerry's - Cherry Garcia is my favorite!

Zac

mrohde
05-06-2008, 09:24 PM
I hunt Cabots cheese out with a dedicated purpose. I love cheese, and theirs is beyond compare.

JBark
05-06-2008, 10:01 PM
>I hunt Cabots cheese out with a dedicated purpose. I love
>cheese, and theirs is beyond compare.

When is thew season for Cabot cheese and how many is the limit?

John

JBark
05-06-2008, 10:03 PM
">What's CA got to do with this thread? Not that I'm
>defending my liberal-##### home state"

California is liberal...didn't they vote that yahoo Arnold in as governor?

John

CajunRider
05-07-2008, 05:34 AM
Applying the media quoting machine logic to your statement I get:

"Nice to know that an East Texan at a Massachusetts democratic
fundraiser makes a nice bowl blank."

Now don't you go twist my words. I'd be outraged!

mrohde
05-07-2008, 07:58 AM
It's a beautiful thing. The season is is year 'round, the limit is only constrained by one's bank balance. However, your own body may have a consumption limit.

rhull
05-07-2008, 09:57 AM
That's hilarious. :)

arcticfox46
05-07-2008, 11:11 AM
It's WILD CHERRY - Cherry Garcia

arcticfox46
05-07-2008, 11:12 AM
Didja notice the slight wild cherry flavoring?

krethjr
05-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Yep, we did and worse yet, he's actually a step above the prior bozo (Gray Davis). Funny thing is, Arnold came in with conservative guns blazing and quickly got stamped down and caved into the libs. CA is lib to the bone and I'm definitely in the minority here. BTW, I did vote to slit CA North from South. Only problem is, I wanted them to include the SF Bay Area in the "S. CA".

Sonny, please take no offense ;-)

Jim

Sawduster
05-07-2008, 01:37 PM
And to think I skipped over reading this thread after my initial post thinking it was gonna be boring.

Josh from maine
05-07-2008, 04:58 PM
and none of the white boys are gunna play that funky music?

Cody Colston
05-07-2008, 07:20 PM
"Massachusetts Democratic Fundraiser" is a redundant statement. You could eliminate the "Democratic" adjective and still be factually correct.

And yes, an East Texan there would certainly be "twisted up" as you say. Of course, I hope you realize a true East Texan would not be there, anyway. It would have to be one of those New England yankees masquerading as an E.T. We've got quite a few of them down here. :)

Cody
Tyler, TX

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep for that which he cannot lose.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c89/CColston/thCandle.jpg

CajunRider
05-07-2008, 09:09 PM
>And to think I skipped over reading this thread after my
>initial post thinking it was gonna be boring.
We snuck up on you didn't we Jerry?

rhull
05-08-2008, 06:59 PM
>"Massachusetts Democratic Fundraiser" is a redundant
>statement. You could eliminate the "Democratic" adjective
>and still be factually correct.

You're right, it would be correct, but not complete. Contrary to popular belief, the internet claims there IS a Republican presence in Massachusetts: http://www.massgop.com/. :)

rhull
05-08-2008, 07:01 PM
Huh? That was way out in left field for me.