bar clamps vs. pipe clamps

Can any one please explain the advantages/disadvantages of bar clamps vs. pipe clamps? I need to glue up panels ranging in size from 13"x13" to 13"x40", 3/4" stock. Which type of clamp is better for this application, and why? Also, where is a good place to buy clamps on-line? Thanks in advance for your help.

RE: bar clamps vs. pipe clamps

IMHO, the pipe clamps are a little easier to use because you can set them on your assembly table because the stock can sit directly on the pipe. bar clamps can be used, they just take a couple extra hands and minutes to get configured. i am assuming that you mean regular bar clamps, and not parallel (k-body) bar clamps- which are probably hands-down the best for panels. (just the cost that really hurts)
    also, pipe clamps should cost a little less for larger sizes. BUT, the angle that the clamp faces have can cant your panels (make them cup). if you use cauls and lighter clamping prssure, you should be able to alleviate that.
    in short, they both work, but pipe clamps are a little easier with some help (cauls, auxilary clamp pads).
    happy gluing.
    later,
    John "mapleman" Fairbairn III
    "Me don't know, I justa build 'em" :P

John's right K-body clamps are the best. They apply pressure direct on line to the center of the wood. I don't own any because i have never wanted to spend the bucks on them.

Bar clamps are next best but they are a bit less flexable than pipe clamps. I don't find them any harder to use. But you buy a bar clamp at a give length.

Pipe clamps have two advantages, they are cheap, the length is determined by the pipe you buy. So if you want a 12 ft clamp then buy 12 ft pipe.

if you use pipe then you need to alternate clamps top and bottom to keep the panel in line. Dauls is also a very very good idea.

I've got both bar clamps and pipe clamps. The bar clamps are much more expensive and (GOOD) ones are more rigid than pipe clamps. The biggest advantage to pipe clamps is the super-variable length. You buy a set of pipe clamp heads and you can make up a set of clamps ranging in length from 3" to 20' - or LONGER - depending upon your needs. I've got a pretty good stock of pipes now for mine, so I just change out to whatever length pipe makes for the clamp job I need. My longest pair is 8' long. I just never ran into a need for longer ones yet.

If you go with pipe clamps, go with 3/4" instead of 1/2". The half-inch pipe is much more flexible than is the three-quarters, and that can be an issue sometimes.

For bar clamps, my "faves" are the QuickGrip clamps from ViseGrip. I've got a pretty fair variety, bought as need dictated. They're fast, they're convenient, they're lightweight, they're strong. I don't think I can ever quite justify shelling out for Bessey K=bodies, so I can always lust after 'em in the store. :)

-- Tim --

Argue for your limitations,
    and sure enough - they're yours.
    - Richard Bach -

Here's a source:

http://www.pennstateind.com/Merchant...tegory_Code=CL

I use medium duty racheting bar clamps on the edges of panels, spacing them about half again as far apart as the boards are wide. I caul them ( is it OK to verb that word?) with wax paper, 2x4s on end, and 12" medium duty racheting bar clamps. Works for me.