Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RE: Table saw overarm blade guard/dust hood

I looked at it and my first reaction was that it looked like a bunch of PVC tubing. I'm sure you could build it at a fraction of the price if you're more DIY oriented.

Bob

it's all .080 wall steel tubing. Bout 2.5" at that. I have one, for an overarm guard it works great. I just dont like the boom so one of these days I'll drop it from the ceiling instead. Could I have made one? Easily, even have all the metal working tools. Was nice not having to, esp since it was a present :)

I am build one out of PVC tubing. I saw the Excalibur on Amazon ($379) and from Penn State ($199 promo) and thought I could build one for my contractor saw for much less. I will post some pictures.

It seems pretty easy. Here is what I bought.

2 - 2" pvc tubing $8
    2 - Y pvc fittings $8
    2 - T pvc fitting $8
    1 - pvc union joint $7
    1 - elbow pvc fitting $2
    1 - pvc cap $2
    4 - 4" door hinges $4
    1 - bungee cord $2
    PVC adhesive $10
    Hangers and brackets for PVC $5
    Dust collection fitting for hood $10
    Aluminum angle for hood $6
    Lexan for hood $10

That is about $80. I had some of the items just sitting around as scrap (lexan, aluminum angle, pvc adhesive, bungee cord) so it really cost me only around $50. Not bad. However, if I did it again I would probably use 4" tubing and feed the air through the arm like they do. I just have the hose attached to the arm.

ErikY

I bought one for my delta contracots saw, but sold the saw and the PSI blade guard when I bought my Unisaw.

I liked it. It was pretty good for dust collection, but you need a pretty powerful DC to get good benefits since its a pretty long tube.

It was very easy to assemble, very sturdy and a good blade guard that is easily lifted for dados.

My main reason for buying it was that my delta contractors saw was hard to set up dust collection because the stand had a built in dust shelf. Along with a contractor saw having an extending outward motor which is hard to cover for good DC.

My Unisaw has a cabinet and DC port so I sold it with the saw.

Thanks! Appreciate your comments about the blade guard lifing easily for use with dados. Enjoy that new Unisaw!

Rich :)

Wow, this FORUM exchange stuff is really great! As you can see, I'm new to this system, and am already experiencing what a wonderful resource it is to have so many willing and experienced people share their knowledge. Liek they say, a picture is worth a thousand words and such is the case in looking at those that you sent. Thanks very much for all of them and the parts list to make your own. Will study all that you sent and may go that route instead of purchase.

Rich

Hmmm - great idea, the "present" part! We'll keep in mind. Thanks!

Rich

Thanks for the encouragement to build one myself. May do so. Appreciate all the helpful replies to this inquiry.

Rich

Hi,

I built one out of steel for about $80. It is basically a beise design. There is a couple pages on my site that will give you the details if you are instersted.

Good on you for thinking of this. Your hands and lungs will thanks you!

Blessings,

--Mark

[link:home.earthlink.net/~maspaulding/ | Mark's Garage Shop]

Table saw overarm blade guard/dust hood

Hi Woodworkers!

Anyone out there purchased the new Penn State Industries TSGuard - Overarm blade guard/dust hood combination? It was featured in the Dec. 2003 issue of Wood magazine, p. 130. Any recommendations or other comments to compliment those in the article? Are there any "do-it-yourself" units like this that anyone has assembled themselves? Thanks for any comments!

Rich