Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Don't buy the orange Ridgid Bandsaw BS14002

I bought one of these and have been very disappointed thus far, primarily because of the vibration. It is obvious they are trying to compete with the low cost leader companies. I heard good things about Ridgid before and expected a lot from this tool. I sold my Craftsman 12" tilt head which had very little vibration.

The sources of the problem appear to be a poorly designed base and poorly balanced wheels.

This is a lemon of a tool. I am currently trying to get replacement wheels. Ryobi manufactures this tool for them. I have heard a lot of good things about Ryobi too, but it appears that this is not one of their winners.

Anyway, if you are considering one of these, look elsewhere.

RE: Don't buy the orange Ridgid Bandsaw BS14002

Thanks for the heads up there....

Ryobi doesn't make the tool, the parent company to Ryobi just bought the rights to the small tools... they are still made at the same place as they always were...

You are probably right about the Ryobi thing. The customer support rep told me he worked for Ryobi and that Ryobi is the manufacturer and the product is sold under the Ridgid name. He also sand this has happened to a handful of the Ridgid stationary woodworking tools. However, this is tech support and who knows what they know. I usually don't have good luck with tech support on low cost leader type products.

You seem to have done a lot of research on Ryobi, based on your posts. Have you ever compiled a list of tools that you have had good experiences and shared them with others here. It would probably be very helpful to newbies.

Thanks for the info.

I was a moderator on the Ryobi forum for a few years, and just recently quit when they forgot that I was a volunteer and tried to talk to me like an employee.... so I have answered a lot of questions about Ryobi tools.

It's the same with every manufacturer... there is no list of tools that are good/bad/ugly.... each tool has to be checked out according to it's own merits, and it changes constantly... Ryobi introduced something like 33 new models this year... makes it hard to keep track!

This is really interesting- I have been trying to get a straight answer on this from some of the HD people for a while (yeah, probably a bad move, I know). But for clarification:

Ryobi (TTI) makes the bench tools AND the hand tools? I thought Emerson was still producing the hand tools. Is Emerson still producing anything for Rigid other than the vacuums? And exactly which tools are still being made in the same place?

Sorry for all the questions, but I genuinely find this fascinating, and just want to make sure I have it right.

Thanks in advance for the clarification.

Marc,

I was wondering what happened there. Volunteer managemnt is a bit of an unpracticed art! Thanks for serving there for so long, you answered TONS of my questions!

Blessings,

--Mark

[link:home.earthlink.net/~maspaulding/ | Mark's Garage Shop]

I think ITT just took over the power benchtop portion....

Nath Saburbin Bahstin, Massachusetts, USA.

Check out this thread . . . you may find some tips of use here . . .

http://www.woodworking.com/dcforum/DCForumID9/4506.html

As for the Emerson/Rigid/TTI thing, a little quick research yielded this article:

http://www.woodworking.com/articles/...a=show&id=1092

Cheers,
    Jim

The Ridgid bandsaw was so much like the one at HF, I Bought the central machinery one at 1/3 the cost.
    I heard on another site from a man who had the same problem as you with the bandsaw from HF and his last post reported he had found the problem. Maybe this will help.
    He found that by buying a "good" blade (the supplied blade was cheap) and tightening and aligning the belts, his vibration went away.
    I had to buy a good belt and blade to make mine "calm down" and now it runs very smooth as well.
    Hope this helps. Good luck!
    P.S.---- I have a question as well. Is it better to loosen the tension on the bandsaw blade when it's not in use, or does this make a difference???