GMC - Global Machinery Company

Anyone have any experience with their stuff, or know where I can get some good reviews on them? Lowes has a 10" sliding compound miter saw with laser for $199.00. I've spent quite a bit on tools here recently in preparation for doing some small furniture building to make a little extra cash on the side and a saw like this would be a welcome addition to the mix, but money is getting to be an issue right now, so as alot of folks here are doing; I'm looking for the best price/feature ratioThe slide feature is one I haven't seen in something at this price point before, so I'm kind of skeptical. Opinions please?

TIA,
    Marty

RE: GMC - Global Machinery Company

Their made in China and imported by Australia.I would guess their quality would be on par with the other Chinese imports like Delta Shopmaster etc.

As an Aussie I'll have a shot at answering this one :)

GMC is an Australian company, been around here a few years. All their stuff is Chinese made. They've got themselves a reasonable share of the market here by making reasonable stuff, pricing it cheap and offering a 2 year replacement warranty. They're not on a par with Delta IMO, lower end than that mostly.

They have a standard range and a Platinum range (which includes a trade use warranty). I own a few of their tools, and I've taken a couple back to trade up to something better. They're cheap, reasonable and you can't complain about the warranty. Not too bad a choice on a budget.

Of course, I don't know your market and how they compare with the standards you're used to. Here for instance Ryobi is mostly low end rubbish and GMC beats them - there I gather Ryobi sell a better range of gear.

Hope that helps anyway.

A friend of mine purchased one of these so I decided to take a look.
    From my inspection I would rate them as almost useless. The guide rods are to small. That means that the cutting head can move from left to right and cut quality would be very poor.

I tested the sliding GMC saw during a demo class at a local hardware store and was not impressed at all. The saw is just like the cheap Chicago brand that Harbor Freight has been selling.

I just bought a Delta 12" twin laser miter saw for $233 ($283 at Amazon.com - $50 promotion Amazon is giving now until 6/20/2004). Their free shipping is relatively fast too. I got my saw in 5 days. The GMC saw cost was $199 plus $17 sale tax. I think I got a much better saw for only $17 more.

Thanks for the input folks. I went ahead last weekend and got the delta CMS just under the one mentioned by cajunrider. Basically only difference I saw was mine didn't have the laser guides. Went directly to work cutting framing members for the playroom I started building in my Sis' house last weekend, then after a couple days of that, brought it home to do some miter cuts on some banding for a blanket chest I'm building her for christmas. Starting to pay for itself already in time and effort saved as it's made both of these projects move along much more quickly. I've recently decided to start a small side business building these chests to be sold at local consignment shops, furniure stores etc. This should easily cover the monetary cost after just a couple of sales. I'm a happy camper. :)