bru

HOW TO MAKE MDF DOORS

IS IT AS SIMPLE AS CUTTING A SHEET OF MDF UP IN RECTANGLES AND ROUTING THE EDGE AND CENTRE TO MAKE MDF CABINET DOORS,WHAT OTHER SKILLS ARE INVOLVED IN DOING IT,PLEASE HELP OUT,THANKS

RE: HOW TO MAKE MDF DOORS

What are you using the doors for? Will you be fastening hinges to them? How big are they? Need to elaborate a bit...

Kelly

It takes multiple passes with multiple jigs. Very dusty & not very fun, but do-able (sure it's a word :) ). I believe there are jigs available for this sort of thing, so you don't have to figure out & make them yourself, but I can't remember who makes them. Sorry. The end result can be nice though. Good luck.

Kelly

>IS IT AS SIMPLE AS CUTTING A SHEET OF MDF UP IN RECTANGLES
    >AND ROUTING THE EDGE AND CENTRE TO MAKE MDF CABINET
    >DOORS,WHAT OTHER SKILLS ARE INVOLVED IN DOING IT,PLEASE HELP
    >OUT,THANKS

It's even simpler if you want. Just cut out the rectangles and install hinges, if you want square-edged slab doors. I have done this for utilitarian cabinets.

I've also done "euro-style" cabinets with a basic slab door with a 3/8" radius round-over routed onto the face edges. With a pigmented lacquer finish, they have that modern, "euro-" look.

You can also imitate the look of a raised panel door by routing a pattern into the face of the door--is this what you mean by "routing the centre?"

It IS a pretty easy way to make a door, but is only loosely connected to woodworking. But I must confess, I've done a lot of "woodworking" with MDF. It really is a nice product: stable, flat, easily worked, takes paint well, ....

MDF can be quite easy to work, but it is messey. Lots of sawdust. It can be shaped easily in a shaper or router table. The important thing to remember is that you need to use beefy fastners. Use a euro style hinge. A standard cabinet hinge with 3/4" screws will become loose over time due to the weight of MDF.

Finishing is the other area of concern. There are some MDF paints on the market, expensive and not easy to find, but look back on these forums for info on painting MDF.

Wear a mask when you cut this stuff, even if you have a great DC setup. The dust is very fine.

Good luck..

BobN ;-)