Old Craftsman jointer

I found an old (around 1950) Craftsman 6" jointer for sale. It has some surface rust, but appears to be functioning. I don't currently own a jointer and had planned on waiting until I could afford an 8" (could be years), but this guy is willing to part with it for $100. Think I should go for it? Will I ever find replacement knives for it?
    Here's a link to what I think is the same machine:
    http://files.owwm.com/PDF/Craftsman/103-23320.pdf
    It's on a stand, but total bed length looks to be only about 36".

-Ken

"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes."
    -Oscar Wilde

RE: Old Craftsman jointer

I'm a BIG fan of old tools - but hte 3ft total bed length is a bit shy of what I'd say is acceptable. Though for 100 bucks, you'd likely not find another jointer for that price.

As far as knives - post your Q to the OWWM forum and you'll likley find someone else with the same jointer that has a source for knives etc.

I've got what appears to be the same jointer. Mine has the 36" bed and does a great job. It's good and heavy and blades were purchased from sears just a couple years ago. The only limitations I see will be juat like any other jointer with that length bed. About double the bed length is about what you can expect to get a good edge, anything much longer can be done but takes more time and effort.

If you don't have a jointer and are looking at several years to get an 8" then this one should serve you well if it's in good working order.

I have one very similiar as well. In regards to the knife, I actually had to buy 6 inch knives and have them cut to size.. Otherwise, I LOVE IT...

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful! I'm gonna head out there on Saturday and check out operation. If it works, I'm going for it. I figure just the experience of cleaning it up should be worth it. The guy said he may even have an extra set of knives!

-Ken

"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes."
    -Oscar Wilde

YOu are looking at what is an Old King Sealy. They are smaller the one might want as the ideal jointer for a shop. But I tried and tried to win one on Ebay for about a year. average cost on them is about $100 - $150 there. As for the blades ........Sears

If it was me I would offer $75 and pay the $100.

They are totally rebuildable too if needed.

Cut it, Shape it, Sand it to fit, Then two weeks later the humidity changes the size and shape if it. This wood stuff makes me insane.