Tool Shop Brand Tools

Hello again, I was wondering if any of you have had positive or negative experiences with Tool Shop brand tools (I think they are only sold at Menard's). I am a college student and dont have much money for tools so the ones I do get have to be relatively cheap, and Tool Shop tools are pretty darn cheap! Thanks for the info!

RE: Tool Shop Brand Tools

I've got one of their sanders and a cordless drill. They aren't top quaility but they are ok. Worth what you pay, which is darn little. Note the warranty and save your paperwork. I have my problems with Menards but they have been good on returns and warranty stuff. The reason is that they send the stuff back to the vendor for credit.

I have a whole bunch of those cheap-x clamps they make (black with orange pads) that I have bought at Menard's when they put them on sale for 20% off or so. They have worked well for clamping stuff just like you would expect them to do. Not that great for table top glue ups, mind you. No complaints, no failures. Now if Menard's would just file their EEOC paperwork and pay their taxes the IRS would get off their back...

Dennis

I have a bunch of the bar type clamps and when they work they are fine. The handles come unscrewed on some, which is easy enough to fix, but i have had about three of them that don't ratchet right. When I am down to the point that I need those last clamps I put vise grips on the bar to keep the base part from sliding. Pretty sad. But they are cheap and so am I.
    Some of the stuff seems okay.

I can't speak for their power tools, but I do have several of their pipe clamps. Yes they are knock offs of other brands, but for less then half the price, they're worth it. They're not as easy to use as the major brands, but their not difficult either.

Most of their hand tools have a "lifetime" guarantee, provided you save the origiinal receipt. The quality on those seem fine, btw.

I've bought one or two of their power tools on items I plan on using very infrequently. I havenot ben disapointed. However, if you are looking at something you plan on using regularly in a woodshop (e.g. table saw, jointer, planer, bandsaw), you're better off sticking with the name brand stuff. It will cost you less in the long run when you finally realize at a later date you need to upgrade.