Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Central Machinery Dovetail Jig

I have a question and need some input I saw Harbor Freight ad yesterday and they have a dovetail jig and I was thinking about maybe picking it up and was wondering does anyone have this type and if it works good enough for you. Compared to the higher priced models the way I figure you get what you paid for. I want it collect dust from the router not from the shelf.
    Days without wood working aren't worth getting up for.
    Glenmore

RE: Central Machinery Dovetail Jig

I have the HF #34102 dovetail jig. There's been a lot of discussion about this jig in the past (you can probably find some of those past conversations in the archives. It's a decent enough jig, but limited. Setup is a bit of a pain, but with care I was able to get very good results my first time using it. I've only used it a couple times.

Glenmore,

Although I do not have the HF tool specifically, I did purchase a Homier version at one of those truck sales in a parking lot once upon a time for $25. You certainly get what you pay for! And did took a bunch of set-up to get it to work, had to file the comb to get a bushing to fit correctly and generally beef up the machine.

Consequently, it generally collects dust...

Your mileage may vary!

Blessings,
    --Mark

[center]http://garageshop.org/SignIcon.jpg
    [center][link:garageshop.org/ | Visit the Shop]

Ditto what Rob said. Make sure it's the one with the metal template. I think there were some sold w/ plastic ones that tended to bend a bit. I had good luck with it as well, but if you search around you should be able to find better instructions. The ones that come with it are best used for wrapping fish parts for disposal. I don't have anything handy, but let me know if you can't find anything better, I'll dig up something. I think that there was also an article in a recent WW mag that went into detail on setup.

-Ken

Yeah likewise..The instructions that come with it suck but the good news is that the very same jig sold by someone for much more bucks does come with much more explicit instructions which make the set up a breeze..I'll try and dig them out.

Best advice I was given when I bought this "generic" jig was "Throw the instructions that came with it in the trash..they are a positive hinderance than help !!"

>Best advice I was given when I bought this "generic" jig was
    >"Throw the instructions that came with it in the trash..they
    >are a positive hinderance than help !!"

Yep. Fortunately, the H0983 from Grizzly is the same exact thing, and the manual for that is available online here:

http://images.grizzly.com/grizzlycom...ls/H0983_m.pdf

Here you go.
    That second link explains the oddities of the jigs many names in a review scenario, but the first is the better manual.
    Enjoy.

http://www.woodstockinternational.com/dovetail.aspx

http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/w1099.htm

Rob.

Thanks guys the way it sounds I think I'll wait until something else comes along.
    Days without wood working aren't worth getting up for.
    Glenmore

I say try it out and return it if you don't like it, henry.
    The way HF rotates the prices on their stuff, I seem to remember I got mine for a ridiculously low price. 20 dollars or something...Almost a disposable price at that level.

My one was from Harbor freight and came with the nice metal template.
    It's not exactly going to shrug off router attacks, but it's possibly a little more rigid than the plastic version.

Rob.

It is the same machine that about 5 o6 other companies sell for about double. With the Woodstock manual you have the exact same. It will take some practice though.