Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Whats the best "gadget" you have ever bought for woodworking

I am not talking about the obvious (table saw, router, chisel) but rather the gadgets sold at places like Lee Valley and Rockler. There are about a million gidgets and gadgets out there and half of them SEEM like good ideas but not sure if I would actually use them. So if you don't mind, whats your favorite gadget?

RE: Whats the best "gadget" you have ever bought for woodwor

The Perfect Butt.

It is a scribbing device. Basically it is a wheel with a bearing on a center hub that holds a pencil. Used to scrib cabinets to the wall, etc.

RE: Whats the best

This is my newest and I think it will be one of the best:

Bob R

I was just using mine last night to sharpen an edge on my new 5/8" Ashley Isles chisel, and re-hone the edge on my 3/8" chisel. The repeatability and consistancy with this sharpening guide is amazing.

If only they offered an optional wheel you could put on it that was slighly less than cylindrical to allow for easier cambering of plane blades...

Thanks guys, appreciate the input. Where do you find the perfect butt? (Besides Maxim magazine that is)

Rockler, our sponsor. (It's made in the UK.)

It's not quite a gadget (bordering more on a real tool), but my favorite is my self-centering dowel jig. I made a lot of decent stuff with that jig, substituting the dowels for the more complicated mortice & tennon joint. Pretty good for $40.

- Kevin

Re-equipping my shop has had me on a spending spree (or sorts). Besides the Rigid table saw and DeWalt miter saw (not gadgets), I have really enjoyed (and used) the following things more than other items I've bought:
    - A table saw height measurement device
    - A mechanical pencil sharpener for mounting on the wall (my pencils are now very sharp and I'm not using chisels to sharpen them!).
    - Wooden mallet (I have NO idea how I've survived without one for so many years)
    - Dust collector (not really a gadget, but a lifesaver! - and the floor sweep attachment is fantastic, it makes sweeping FUN).
    - Angled hold-downs for my dog holes
    - Retractable power cord (hangs above my workbench and delivers power super easy).

That's about all that's coming to mind at the moment.

Cheers,

Scott T
    Portland, Oregon

I am a super huge fan of my Kreg pocket hole jig. I love it almost as much as my wife and kid and more than my dog.

the second best things and they're not so much gadgets as they are safety devices, push sticks, feather boards and push blocks. I know you can make them, but I purchased mine because it is much more fun to build cool stuff than safety sticks and the such.

MkII honing jig from Lee Valley.