Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MDF 1/4" Source

MDF 1/4" Source

I went to the big box stores and could not find 1/4" MDF in full size sheets i.e. 4x8. All I could find was 2x4 sheets. I was going to use it for drawer bottoms, but the waste factor was terrible. What else do you folks use for drawer bottoms? Where could I find full size sheets? None of the lumberyards had it either.

RE: MDF 1/4" Source

I've never heard of 1/4" MDF...More than likely what you were looking at in the 2'x4' sheets was particle board or MDO. For the most part we use Luan for drawer bottoms. FWIW.

Dano

RE: MDF 1/4

I usually use 1/4" birch. I've been known to use 1/2" on bigger/heavy-duty drawers and slide-outs. I know that's over-kill, but..........

Dano, you must have better luan out there than we have here. I'm sure you wouldn't use "our laun" for anything that might be seen. I'll use it for a back on drawer bases, that's about all it's good for.
    Dave, from Indiana

I am a great believer in luck. The harder I work, the more of it I seem to have.

RE: MDF 1/4

1/4 hardboard here.

My local Homedepot sells the 1/4" MDF in 2'x4' sheets as well. I had never seen it that thin either. I was thinking it would be great for cheap template material if they sold it in full sheets without the big markup they seem to put on the "convenience" of smaller pieces. The HD here also has full sheets of 1/4" sanded ply but its a bit pricey IMO expecially for the condition it generally is in. Probably not any stronger than hardboard either.

wayne86

I would think that MDF that thin would be too fragile to sheet stock.
    Cant you used the cheapest ply or luan or paneling for the same purpose. Id love to see the mess if I planned 3/4MDF down to 1/4.

The MDF is stiffer than luan. It makes a good bottom for drawers that are not going to have very heavy loads. I have used it for drawer bottoms for drawers that hold lots of shop tools. I have gotten the 2x4 sheets at HD, but can't find the larger size.

You can buy it at Hogan Hardwoods http://www.hoganhardwoods.com/hogan/.../panel_MDF.htm

They carry MDF as thin as 1/8". I order all my material from them and they have great prices. They also run a woodworking store but the prices are not the same, they are higher.

Gary

I don't know what size drawers you are making but personally I'd use 1/8" Masonite before I'd use 1/4" MDF. The only thing I really use MDF for is templates and jigs. Plywood is much better suited for drawer bottoms than MDF IMHO.

We get 1/4" MDF from Central Hardwoods out of Dallas. We use it for templates. I wouldn't use it for drawer bottoms though. We typically use 1/4" birch or luan ply for drawer bottoms.