Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Does DeWalt own Porter Cable and Delta?

Someone told me this today, so I wanted to verify. Is is true the DeWalt bought out Porter Cable and Delta?

RE: Does DeWalt own Porter Cable and Delta?

Actually...

Black & Decker owns them all. They've owned DeWalt for a good 50 years, i believe. They just acquired PC, Delta and a slurry of others in the "Pentair Group" purchase a couple years ago.

Delta is starting to be called "Delta/Porter Cable"

B&D seems to be doing to the Porter Cable name that they did to DeWalt some 40 years ago. They're riding the reputation of Porter Cable but badging tools that were once Black & Decker quality - making the quick buck. Maybe it's just a short-term thing?

Jason,

Unfortunately, it is not just a short term thing. As these manufacturing firms meld into one large conglomerate - they just don't every go back to where they used to be.

Bleak and Darker - WILL - do to Porter Cable as they will do. PC is gone forever. All the Pentair tools will be like all the GM cars. No difference between Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Olds or Caddy. Same with Pentair, PC, Dewalt, Black and Decker. All the same. It's a day gone by never to return.

Bosch on the other hand is Bosch - quality - at least for now.

I believe that Bosch owns Skil. From your reasoning then, Skil quality and endurance will be eleveated to the level of Bosch. I doubt it.

Prior to the Pentair group acquisition, DeWalt was the "professional quality" line of tools with B&D the "consumer quality" line. Now, with Porter-Cable in the mix, it looks like they may be relegated to consumer quality status also.

I would hope that Black & Decker Corporation would have enough sense to retain the quality tools most associated with the brand...ie, PC routers. However, any time competition is eliminated, quality usually suffers, as does innovation.

Of course, there's always Festool for the discriminating tool buyer. ;)

Cody
    Tyler, TX

To everything; turn, turn, turn
    There is a season; turn, turn, turn

B & D has owned DeWalt for many years. (More than 20.)

Before we trash everyone, lets consider the mix of tools.

B & D became the home owner quality while DeWalt became the pro line, many years ago. I have a couple of corded drills that are identical except for label and color. (B & D Pro vs. DeWalt)

DeWalt has some routers but...

PC is KNOWN for routers and pneumatic nail guns...

Delta is known for stand up machines.

As for overlap...

I can see the PC drills and saber saws, DeWalt Routers going by the wayside. Everything fairly much should remain as they are today.

What really concerns me is that many of the PC pneumatic tools are being made in Asian factories. While this is more of a statement of philosophy rather than quality, it may indicate a more disposable tool mentality in the industry. The big problem is that these Asian factories are very efficient at building products and will build a router today and sewing machines tomorrow. The ability of the local US company being able to run down to the stock room and grab some repair parts is lost.

So??? If you mix De Walt yellow with P.C. silver, it won't end up as gold?

LOL!

Rumor has it that PC is gonna be "placed" in a market between the B&D homeowner stuff and the pro stuff of DeWalt meaning a downgrade in PC quality. In the blue big box the other night I wandered by a display of PC labeled cordless drill drivers. Don't recollect PC having such items before, but these seemed to be a whole lot of plastic.

I have always thought of PC as a TAD above Dewalt. I also don't think Dewalt is as good as it used to be.

To put PC in a range between B&D and Dewalt is certainly a downgrade. Too bad.

Maybe Festool really will be a competitor on the market.