Kobalt Sliding Miter Saw question

First i want to say that im glad to be apart of this forum. I look forward to learning many things and also sharing many things. I recently bought a Kobalt Sliding Miter Saw from Lowes. It worked great, used it a few times. Then i noticed the screw that holds the sliding mechanism in place had gone out on me. The threads on the saw portion had wallered out from what i coudl tell thus not allowing the screw to hold the saw in a stationary position. Has anyone else had problems like this with this saw or any other sliding miter saw? I have noticed that on most of the saw this is the type of mechanism that is used. I would think there would be a better more dependable way but maybe not. I will be returning the saw this weekend and am trying to decide on whether or not to exchange it for the same saw or take my money and try something else. Im not looking to spend over a few hundred dollars though..

RE: Kobalt Sliding Miter Saw question

I would guess it is a problem on more than just your saw.

A couple things - do you do mostly construction kinda stuff - fine woodworking? Boxes? I ask because - some things don't require the "enth degree" of accuracy, others surprisingly do.

Do you need it to be a sliding miter saw? Do you want 10" or 12"

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90401+500713

That is a pretty nice DeWalt saw I posted a link to - pry just over what you really want to spend.

Their 10" is considerably less. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...3+90401+500713

I don't believe either are sliding though. Cutting really wide boards?

Zac

Yeah i kinda do need it to be sliding. I need a 10" no need for anything as big as a 12". I dont building houses or anything, just around the house stuff. I basically like the versatility that the sliding gives you over the basic miter saw.

I've got that 12" saw's big brother, the double-bevel nonsliding one. Got mine "factory reconditioned", factory warranty & visually & operationally perfect, for less than that saw's price. VERY GOOD SAW for a CMS, that... after you get used to that huge blade taking so long to wind up to speed. :) :) :)

-- Tim --

Member of the
    Robert "Limey" Bolton Memorial
    International
    Volunteer Mentorship and Assistance
    Programme

Brantley, is that a locking screw that holds the carriage in a nonsliding position? Or one that locks it in nontilting or nonpivoting position?

Had it been - when it was new - a good-fitting screw or was it loose & wobbly to start with? Is it possible you overtightened it & weakened the threads? Or... did you buy it new or as a floor-model demo unit? People really twig around with stuff on the showroom floor.

Just tryin' to get in my head what exactly happened & how & why it happened. Could just be a manufacturing flaw - could be specific to that particular individual saw, or general to that model, or inherent to the whole species... or not.

-- Tim --

Member of the
    International
    Programme

Tim. It is the locking screw that holds the carriage in a non sliding position. I am certain it was not a floor model. Yeah, it is possible that i could have over tightened the screw, but i dont think i did. I was pretty careful not to do that. But it is possible of course.

This is the saw i am talking about http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...3LW&lpage=none

On most other sliding miter saws, is there a screw that holds the carriage in place like on this Kobalt saw? It just seems like there would be a better way to do it besides having a screw? IMO

Seems to me that pretty much sliders have some sort of contrivance to prevent the carriage from sliding - mostly takeoffs from their radial-arm-saws ancestors, and usually a knob-headed screw of some sort. There are definitely better ways of getting the job done, but they require more parts & therefore increase the price of the machine. Here I'm thinking of the "split cotter" type lock or a two-jaw clamp-type lock. Pity machine makers don't usually go the extra mile like that these days... but again it'd drive our equipment prices waaaay back up, too.

Now - as to your particular saw - is there still some pretty fair amount of metal there, where the screw belongs? If so, you can take care of the problem (probably permanently) by carefully drilling out the screw hole and tapping it for a "helicoil" thread insert. That puts good hard steel threads where I figure alumin(i)um ones once were.

-- Tim --

Member of the
    International
    Programme

I have a DeWalt 12" SCMS that I have had for about 3 years and use almost on a daily basis. It has a lever that locks the sliding mechanisim in place but the only time I ever use it is when I am moving the saw. Otherwise I don't see a need for it myself. Still, if that part of your saw is not working I would exchange it. If it gives you accurate cuts why not keep the same model.

that is a good point. you might get one that is messed up (for the lower price you get less quality control) and be even worse off....

I have had a Porter Cable SCMS and now have the Ridgid 12" dual bevel SCMS and both has basically the same knob-style stop... cheap but USUALLY effective.

BTW - i like my Ridgid and I found it on sale for $375ish right after Turkey day last year...

later, John