OLD bandsaw project

Hello, y'all!
    I teased you folks last week, and here's the info I promised. I am starting a restoration project on a very old Craftsman bandsaw. So old that Sears has no diagrams or parts in their archives. It appears that all the parts are there, and in very good condition. Except for the nuts and bolts, is complete. And for about $40 at the local hardware store, I think it is a wise investment. A nice older friend of mine got it in parts, and lost interest in it after about 10-15 years of collecting dust in his garage. (probably in his wife's parking spot). One question I have is how old could this thing be? It's parts are all cast, except for the frame, which is welded square steel (very heavy duty machine). the wheels are 18" cast steel. The motor is 1 1/2 hp. Model # 112.23580 Another question is how old is this machine? I am looking forward to cutting some oak (more-so looking forward to hearing this beauty rise from the dead). This is the true dinosaur... Can anybody help me out?

Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    -Dan-o

RE: OLD bandsaw project

If you could post a picture , it would be easier to date.
    http://www.australianwoodart.com/Misc/sawblade.gif

Dave,

You're probably right. But unfortunately, I don't have the right hardware to do that. No digital camera or scanner. There are a lot of pics I'd love to post. I, for one, enjoy looking at other people's works. I'm sure there are a lot of others like me. Is there any other way to post than what I mentioned? I am pc illiterate. I stumble on the "on" button. What else can I do?

-Dan-o

Dan,

Look for any name plate data: Serial No.
    Model No.

Also the name plate data from the motor.
    We may be able to trace the data to find the original manufactuer.

BobN

Bob,

I'll check the motor specs when I get home, if my baby will let me. Thanks for the tip.
    -Dan-o

All right, folks.
    Sorry it took so long to check, but I'm doing more daiper changes than anything else anymore. I can't even find much time for a cold one anymore. Damn.
    Anyway, here is what I found:
    On the saw's frame, it has the model # 112.23580

On the motor, there is the following:
    HP 11/2 RPM 1750
    cycle 60 volts 115/230
    phase 1 amps 22/11
    temp 40 C cat 41012716c
    frame c1184 serial c4803316373

the motor tag is craftsman, and I'm fairly sure that the motor is original. Not certain, though.
    If anybody knows anything about this dinosaur, it would be kinda cool to find out about it. I really want to resore it to as close to original as I can. There is a place on the sheet metal case that was cut away with a torch. It looks like that could have been a blade welder. The cut away is about 5" or 6" square. The whole thing is closed, from top to floor, with exception if the table and throat (and the cut I mentioned prior). This is not a flimsy machine. There is a hinged access panel about 18" sq on the backside, and seperate access areas on the front, one for the top pulley (wheel) and one access for the bottom pulley (wheel) and motor, gearhousing. The motor mounts on two hinged angle irons, and the motor weight creates the required tention to the main belt. This belt drives the geargousing. I don't have any gear or pulley ratios.
    Thanks in advance.
    You guys (and gals) ROCK!!!!

Regards,
    -Dan-o

laughner:

Your bandsaw was built in the 50s- 60s, probably by Parks Woodworking Tools
    I've got one too, that's 3ph w/gear shift to cut metal
    Good luck with your project.

Yes, a picture of this band saw would be perfect. I like to see vintage machines being restored. Hopefully by now, you know how to post one.

Maybe the machine can be found at a vintage machinery site OWWM.com .