Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jackie

Woodworking Bench Plans

I am building a workshop in my garage and have researched the kind of workbench I need. It needs to be small enough to roll around, incorporate the wood vise and I want it to have a recess for use of a mitre saw. I can't seem to find a plan that incorporates the recess in the workbench, can anyone lead me to a site with plans that may help?

RE: Woodworking Bench Plans

Hi Jackie and welcome.

Haven't seen any plans with all the features you describe. Sonny Edmonds and a few of the others have their miter saws on the end or corner of their bench but not recessed as you describe.
    http://home.earthlink.net/~sonnypie/island1.jpg

If you go with the end arrangement like Sonny's I'm not sure being recessed buys you anything and its more efficient this way. Uhh, you might note that Sonny's table is designed to be easily taken apart(look closely and you can see the design is basically a top on sawhorses), but as you can also see, portable is hardly a word with which it is acquainted so you may have to look elsewhere for inspiration in that particular regard. (hee hee)

I've been kicking this idea around and to experiment I've been using my SCMS on a 2x4 ply top clamped into my workmate to see how I would like it. Overall, I think its a good idea with a miter saw but it doesn't work as well for a SCMS. Turned like Sonny's, the rails keep banging stuff on the bench. Turn it parallel to the front (or back) and the material needs to project over the top (usually cluttered up with other stuff.) So I will probably wind up with two different units, given the SCMS.

For nine months I had a mitre station set up with a recessed area for the saw. I have taken the saw out of the recess, and gone over to setting it on top of the bench when i need it. When not in use, it took up a lot of space. Now it sits under the bench when not in use.
    Keystone

One of the Original Charter Members. Circa 2000

No longer here. Can now be found at WoW.

Jackie,

You might want to try http://www.plansnow.com. They have plans for benches and mitre saw stations. With a little ingenuity, you should be able to come up with something.

FWIW, I consider the workbench to be one of the most, if not the most, important tools in the shop. It needs to be very sturdy, not too sure if one with wheels is a good idea. I built 6' extensions for my CMS mounted in a "recess" which sits on a 2" x 8" plank so it slides, the unit sits on a bench. If I need to take it to a site, it is no problem and it will sit on two saw horses. FWIW.

Dano

Jackie

to Keystone: How do you support long pieces of work? It would seem if you have a recessed mitre saw that the work could be supported on the workbench. Since I haven't done much of what I am talking about maybe it's not an issue. Sometimes we can do too much research...true hands on is the best teacher :-)

Jackie

In my limited experience I agree, the workbench is the center of my workspace, that's why I want it to be as efficient as possible. Problem is, the only workspace I have is my 2 car garage and I'd rather not give up my parking space during inclement weather so I wanted to be able to move my woodworking tools to the side when necessary. Also, I dont' think I can handle large pieces on my own and I thought that having mobile work areas all the same height would allow me to use various work stations to support my work as necessary. If that is impractical then I'll have to rethink my theory. Also, I checked out the site you referred to, if I don't find the exact plan I'm looking for then I'll definitely adapt one of their's to my needs. Thanks :-)

Jackie

Thanks for the welcome Fried, I'm sure I'll be around asking a lot of questions as I proceed. Does Sonny Edmund have a website? If you read my response to the other posts I'm sure you'll see why I'm trying to combine various uses into my workstation, saving space and mobility is paramount.

Jackie,

Sonny Edmond's website is : http://home.earthlink.net/~sonnypie/ You can also look him up in this forum as he always signs with his website. He has a great site!!

Hi Jackie!

Dano makes a good point about "the workbench should be sturdy". Wheels will complicate that. If you make it good, you'll be able to just push it around on the floor without wheels, it should be able to take that. As long as you have a reasonably smooth floor it ought to be pretty easy.

For the saw, you could make a separate platform out of plywood. It would look like an 8 foot long square tube about 8 inches tall and just as deep as you need for your saw. It would have a notch in the center where the saw would sit. You could put it on horses or on your bench. Stand it up on end when you're not using it and it hardly takes up any space. It's nice to have the saw away from the bench. I like it to be out of the way but always handy and ready to go.

Good luck!

jim

I've made several 2x4 "legs" that I place on top of the bench when ever I hace to cut anything over 4'. Works real well. I really enjoy the extra bench area that I now have again.
    Keystone

One of the Original Charter Members. Circa 2000

No longer here. Can now be found at WoW.