Finishing wormy woods

I recently acquired quite a bit of wormy chestnut that is very old and full of worm holes. I was hoping that some of you high end finishers could give me some advice on finishing this wood. I was hoping to use a home-mixed oil/poly finish. Should I be concerned about oil/poly build up inside of the hundreds of holes. One more question: Any formulas lying around for the proper mixture of oils and polys? Any help is greatly appreciated.

RE: Finishing wormy woods

equil parts tung, pbl, spar or tung pbl beeswax the wax mix gets thick, so the holes will be a problem.

Thanx alot for the help but I'm not exactly sure what pbl is. I'm pretty new to the oil/poly mixes and have had good luck so far except finding an easy formula instead of the pre-mixed store bought sam maloof brand.

Pure boiled linseed.

Don

As I'm sure you know, American Chestnut was wiped out about 60 years ago by a blight introduced by Chinese Chestnut (uh-oh, I can see some anti-Chinese flamers joining here...). The wood is very rot resistant and the backpacking areas of the Southeast were full of wormy chestnut up til about 15 years ago; today I seldom see it. It's beautiful wood and I hope you don't try to hide the worm holes. The tung oil; linseed oil; gloss, oil based polyurethane mix is what I'd use- I'd start thinning the mix 1 to 1 with mineral spirits and only go as thick as wouldn't glop up the holes. Takes time and many coats, but well worth it IMHO. Good Luck and please post pics.

Oops, take that back- you said "high end finisher" and I certainly don't qualify.