I'm in the process of building a bathroom vanity that has a curved front. The caracass is complete and the upper and lower approns I kerfed the back of the plywood (maple) and it bent beautifully. Now I have to give the same curve to the two front doors, approx 15"x23". What I have done on a test piece is to kerf the back of what would be the door and then glued a piece of 1/8 bendable plywood to the back to cover the kerfs, clamped to a template while the glue dried.
Is this an acceptable way to achieve what I need? Will the doors maintain there shape? Are there any other suggestions for bending plywood or for doing these doors?
Thanks for any advise or insights
There's a size limit on files uploaded to the site. Anything over about 75 DPI is wasted on a normal PC screen, so that's okay. I normally go into my photo software and reduce them to 72-75 DPI, then save with a new name so I have the original high res and a lower one for posting.
I've got a size limit on my e-mail folder (one of those free hotmail accounts) but it it isn't too large, you can e-mail it to me.
Put something about woodworking in the subject line cause my junkmail filter filters everything from anyone not in my address book into a junkmail file and I just scan it and delete everything from anyone I don't know that doesn't have specific buzz words in the subject line. Once I receive an e-mail from you, I will add you to my address book so the mail won't be filtered.
I used 3/4" plywood with a maple veneer. I didn't measure the depth but I set the depth so that the veneer and one layer of plywood were uncut. I left 3/4" on each of the vertical sides and the spacing was set using a piece of 1/4" hardboard -- i.e. I would cut the first kerf, then insert the 1/4" hardboard between the fence the and the door and cut the next one -- when that was cut I would wait till the blade stopped, slide the door onto the blade, remove the 1/4" hardboard,move the fence against the door, remove the door, and insert the 1/4" board back and cut the next one -- a bit tedious by it worked. Its a little easier if working with something not as big were you can use the mitre gauge with a nail set in for spacing. I used 1/8" bendable plywood on the inside to cover the kerfs.