Sandvik experts? Have a saw, not sure what it is

gents,

I posted a thread reguarding purchasing a dovetail saw the other day from Lee Valley. Last night I was chating with the neighbor last night and he offered a little saw he had. It is a Sandvik 310. It has about 15 TPI, turned handle, steel backing and probably can cut about 2" deep. I went to the Bahco website to find out info on the saw, but they don't have it posted. I was wondering if this is a gent's saw or a dovetail. It's too small to be a tenon. Anyone have any ideas out there?
    Should I still pickup a dovetail saw? Plus one of the replies said I will have to have the saw sharpened after I pick it up? Is this true? I was looking to get the PAX Rip dove or the Dokuzi Jap style from Lee Valley.

Thanks,
    Chris

RE: Sandvik experts? Have a saw, not sure what it is

Sandvik is an excellent brand.

About 30 years ago my brother got me a Sandvik cross cut panel for Christmas. I would win lunch money by challenging my framing crew to a cutting contest, me with my Sandvik against anyone with a Skill 77. On a 2x4 cross cut, I would win about 75% of the time.

RE: Sandvik experts? Have a saw, not sure what it is

IIRC it's a small tenon saw that's filed crosscut. I believe that I have one in my tool kit (I have a small Sandvik in my tool kit). It's fairly sharp from the factory but the set on mine was off a bit (it wanted to curve cut) so I had to reset it. I've sharpened it a few times and now it cuts very well. It would be appropriate for cutting larger dovetails, like those used for building a woodworking bench, but there are other saws that would be better for drawers and such.