Miter Saw Extension Fence

Hello. Has anybody ever built an extension fence out of wood for their miter saws? I have a 10" DeWalt Compound miter saw and was wondering how I should go about making a fence as I really dont want to go out and buy a fence extension. Can I just use any piece of wood?

Thanks, John Murphy

RE: Miter Saw Extension Fence

A simple method is to just attach a long piece of ply or MDF to the existing fence, but that cuts down the available width of pieces which can be cut and a ten inch non-sliding miter saw is already somewhat limited in width capacity. If yours is a sliding compound miter saw, that would be the quickest fix. I would recommend man made "wood" products for this, either good ply or 3/4" MDF for stability in varying humidity situations.

There are all sorts of plans and such from mags and probably on the net, too, for miter saw tables with built in fences. Need to be real accurate in setting those up to match height of the table to the table of the miter saw as well as aligning the extended fences to the existing fence on the saw. Best is to build in adjustability somehow.

I used to have a portable CMS table that I built using the NYW design. The fence was plywood with hinged wings and pull-out extensions. It worked well but I later built a CMS station in my shop cabinets and gave away the portable table. I just use the stock fence now with no extensions at all.

I'd suggest making the inset for the CMS slightly deeper than the table height and then shimming with washers to bring it level. That's easier than trying to build it exactly flush, or worse, getting it too shallow where the saw table is higher than the cabinet table.

Cody

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
    for that which he cannot lose.

getting it too shallow where the saw table is higher than the cabinet table.

Isn't that what they make Bondo for?

The ability to attach stop blocks for duplicate cuts, IMO, is more important than any added benefits of insuring a square cut. You can get that from the existing fence on most miter saws.

Thanks!! My saw isnt a slider so i'll probaly build a cabinent for it. Any other suggestions appreciated!

John if you have a old gas grill I have a plan for using it for a miter saw. I just found it I was looking for it when Pastor Paul was looking for a plan. If you are interested PM me and I'll email it to you it is a real simple plan I intend to use this my self for my miter saw that I use at church. Because it is mobile and you could keep it on the side out of the way when you aren't using it.
    Days without wood working aren't worth getting up for.
    Glenmore

Question along these lines...

I was actually just about to start building one of these, and I was outside looking.. I have a 12" SCMS. The total depth of the machine takes up almost 36", once you slide it! I can't sacrifice 36" out from the wall along the length of my shop to have my SCMS wrapped around a cabinet & some extensions, mo matter how nice it might be. Any suggestions on how to deal with it, or has everyone just made gigantic cabintes?

Tim F.

Since mine doesn't see a lot of use I generally just clamp it down to a folding heavy duty workmate style table when I do use it. Even if you do use yours more often, a temporary set-up like that would be an option. You could lose the 3/4 width of cut with the slider and attach a simple fence of MDF or the like.

Otherwise a setup like with an RAS where the table of the saw is flush with the benchtop would be the best option. You could add some hinged drop down leaves to the bench on either side, but that 3 foot depth right at the saw is probably something you'll have to live with.