how to replicate antique finish for oak

I have several projects using white oak, quarter sawn cabinets, and various items on an old 1924 Seagraves fire engine. Wanting to duplicate the look found on antique furniture. Any advise or suggestions? I have tried fuming ammonia but seems like a big problem, especially for the larger projects. My cabinets are in three sections making up both lowers and uppers (24 feet long), wood flooring, wood bed and box for the Seagraves. thanks for any replies and comments.

RE: how to replicate antique finish for oak

Honestly I have no idea - but since no one has replied I thought I would give you a bump up and see if anyone has any ideas.

Maybe if you post a pic of what the finish looks like you will give us some ideas.

I've never used this, but Rockler (the host of this forum) carries a "Mission Wipe-On Gel Stain" for oak. I think it's intended to look similar to a fumed oak finish. Something to look into, anyhow.

Edit:
    Also, if you have Popular Woodworking from 6/2002, there was an article on simulating a fumed oak finish: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/st....asp?view=1393

Maybe this is a suggestion on the low end of finish products but I've been happy with it - "antique oil". The stuff I use is from Minwax. I've heard that its one part linseed oil and 2 parts mineral spirits.

Has a slight tint to it - dont know if its the oil or additional to help get the look.

I've been applying with a foam brush - then you rub off with a rag much like stain.

Looks better than all that poly stuff...and thats all I care about. :)