Extending Clamps

Hey all!

I know that I have seen in some of my woodworking magazines some jigs to turn two (or more) clamps (parallel, pipe, etc.) into a REALLY LONG clamp, but I can't find any of these magazine features anywhere. This happens to me all the time, by the way... read an excellent woodworking article, remember it later, and not being able to find it... but that is an entirely differnt problem. Any of you have tips/tricks for doubling up on clamps to make a really long clamp? I know I have seen it done... but can't remember how.

Thanks!

RE: Extending Clamps

Hard to explain without a picture, but basically the end of one clamp hooks onto the end of the other clamp. Kinda like this:

[pre][font face=courier]

Another thing i've done is what i call a lazy clamp. It's just a board, with two "hooks" (just blocks of wood) attached to the ends like a "Z" shape:

[pre][font face=courier]
    #___________________
    #
    [/font][/pre]

It hooks the far end of my workpiece and the tail end of my clamp, basically an extension arm. This works good if i have more scrap than clamps :P

Just how long is really long?

I use 6 foot lengths of 3/4" pipe for fairly long clamps.
    Measure once... cut twice.

I connect two pipes with a female connector (my pipes are threaded on both sides.

niki

Thanks all!

Yeah, Beamerweb has got the idea of what I was going for... kind of. The pipe clamp suggestions are good too for pipe clamps, but I guess I was looking for more of a solution for bar clamps and parallel clamps... even though I mentioned pipe clamps. My mistake.

Beamerweb's suggestion was along the lines of what I was going for... but I am having a bit of trouble figuring out how to do this exactly. Pictures would indeed help here, although I liked Beamerweb's "type illustrations". Clever! It looked to me like you would end up with a clamp configuration where the clamp lips would face opposite directions though. Make sense? Like an "S" shape as opposed to the "C" shape that clamps usually give us? Think there is a way to get around that?

Thanks for the help guys! I look forward to reading more of your thoughts!

How long? Well, I have some nice Rockler 48" aluminum bar clamps... but I ran into a problem with even these being too short. I know they Rockler offers extension kits specifically for these clamps, but the suckers are like $19.00 each!

Maybe I'm just cheap, but I would just rather spend my money on other things. ESPECIALLY if I can just make something that will do the job with some of my scrap wood! Right?

I just read that tip, I'll look tonight to find out which magazine it was in but it was for the bar clamps, like HF's Cheap ones. You take the end off 2 clamps (the non moving part) and you use a piece of wood to join the two ends using the holes in the bar as screw holes. I'll find the article tonight and post a better discription.

I saw another method using a 2X4 with holes bored through the wide face on each end to accept a grip style clamp. Would probably work with bar clamps as well.

carlos

>I connect two pipes with a female connector (my pipes are
    >threaded on both sides.
    >
    >niki

Good Idea, I'm gonna have to get a couple female connectors.

>Hard to explain without a picture, but basically the end of
    >one clamp hooks onto the end of the other clamp. Kinda like
    >this:
    >
    >[pre][font face=courier]
    >__________________
    >| |
    > |_____________________|
    >[/font][/pre]
    >
    >Another thing i've done is what i call a lazy clamp. It's
    >just a board, with two "hooks" (just blocks of wood)
    >attached to the ends like a "Z" shape:
    >
    >[pre][font face=courier]
    >#___________________
    > #
    >[/font][/pre]
    >
    >It hooks the far end of my workpiece and the tail end of my
    >clamp, basically an extension arm. This works good if i have
    >more scrap than clamps As they say on those wacky beer commercials, "BRILLIANT!"