Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where to buy rough cut lumber?

After having been out of wood working for several years, I recently purchased a few Grizzly tools. I got their 1023 cabinet saw, the 6" jointer, the 12" portable planer and a drill press.

My main question now that I have all of these tools is where do people go to get rough cut lumber? Web or local? How about in Houston, TX?

Also, if people have comments or questions on the tools I bought, I'd love to hear em......

Scott

RE: Where to buy rough cut lumber?

Scott,
    I have the 20" Grizzly drill press and have been very pleased with it. For some reason it came with an extra chuck, but I haven't needed it. I have used it to make holes for a bookcase and for forstner bits. My husband has also used it for metal working. I want to purchase a rosette cutter but haven't gotten around to it yet. As far as lumber goes, have you checked in the yellow pages under sawmills? Perhaps some of the local woodworkers or cabinet shops/custom woodworkers could give you more info on where to purchase lumber? Good luck.

dicklaxt1

Welcome aboard Scott.........I too would be interested in finding a place to purchase rough/finished lumber. I have just been doing small projects so have just been running to HD or using salvage lumber.

If and when I decide to start a larger project I will need a more reasonable outlet(monetarily).BTW i am located out in Rosenberg.

I am taking the a day off today for no other reason than I just don't feel like going in. I can do that as I am retired and just work when I want to which is most of the time as it takes money to play and buy toys and deer leeases and boats and go fishing and still keep grown children bailed out .They never seem to grow up.

I will get serious TODAY about finding an outlet in the Houston area and let you know ..

dick

Yeah, I know how that is, My two oldest grew up (?) moved away, multiplied, then came back. Just recently got them both back out on the own (?). The youngest just went into the Navy so now LOML and I are finally empty-nesters. Still getting used to that.

As to lumber, good luck finding any at a reasonable price. I travel out to East and N.E. Texas on business quite often and am always on the lookout for folks with bandsaw mills. I've located two out around the Longview area and managed to talk with one of them. He didn't have anything on hand since he mostly does custom work with other people's logs, but does come across the opportunity to pick up his own logs from time to time. Of course the lumber will still be green, but at 40 cents/bf for oak and whatever else he can get, the price can't be beat.

Jerry

Dick
    I too am intrested in finding a source here in Houston, I am located in Pearland. Please post any source you find.

Monty

Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an axe.

dicklaxt1

It seems with a city the size of Houston you could find more outlets.

Here are 3 that I spoke with this morn that had an ad in the yellow pages that indicated they were serious.

#1 Finewoods of Houston
    713-468-7032
    No web site but will fax a price list

#2 Houston Hardwoods
    713-686-6176
    www.houstonhardwoods.com
    No Price List

#3 Clarks Hardwood Lumber Co.
    713-862-6628
    www.clarkshardwoodlumberco.com
    No Price List
    5 acre yard,80 species of wood
    been in business since 1946

I spoke with all three this morn #1 sounded okay on phone.#2 seemed like a wise guy, #3 seemed like he would help you out.

Hope this helps,its a start at least.

dick

Scott,

Since I see there are five replies to your question but, none of them will load......

Try http://www.woodfinder.net and or check your yellow pages. Stay away from the box stores. I do know that lumber is available in your neck of the woods. One of the country's premeir furniture makers, Richard Jones, is located in Houston. FWIW.

Dano

dicklaxt1

Hey Dano I checked this site yesterday and they don't have an outlet in Houston.....I think Bastrop was the closest and I think thats about 120 miles.

Ther are more places in Houston we just have to find them

dick

dicklaxt1

Oh Scott I forgot to say I have read some good reviews on Grizzley products as of late ..check out.....

http://pages.prodigy.net/jack.loganbill/g1023s.htm

dick

I am also looking for a supply of hardwood in Texas, as I am moving to Fort Hood in a couple of weeks. I did have a lot more luck with Houston though. Check this link out, it has 57 matchs for Houston hardwoods.

Good luck, Steve

http://www.digitalcity.com/houston/s...s.adp?cat=2128

Now can someone give me instructions to shorten the hyperlink to a word?