poplar for cabinets

I have numerous red oak and poplar trees on my property that are going to have to be cut. I have made arrangements with a local saw-mill to cut the lumber. My wife is wanting cabinets built but does not want anything in oak. Will poplar be suitable for cabinet making? She also doesn't want the lumber to be painted so it will be stained a light honey color. Any suggestions?

RE: poplar for cabinets

Poplar would not be suitible for the primary wood for cabinets. Poplar is good for a secondary wood or mill work that is to be painted. You would be better off using 3/4" Birch ply and 4/4 Birch stock....

Dano

RE: poplar for cabinets

Thanks for the help. I guess I'll use the poplar for painted projects.

Don't be so hasty now...

Get a piece of poplar and play with it. Some of the prettiest work I've done utilizes the soft swirling grain and color patterns found in poplar. This is one of the only times I use poly but I like the Minwax Polyshades (honey pine) for poplar. Don't reject anything out of hand! There is fun to be had.

Tom

"We came. We saw. We waffled. We conquered. We think."

RE: Don't be so hasty now...

hi popular is a nice wood,look up its usage in a lumber book,you will find a lot of furniture is made out of it.You can make poular looklike cherry,birch,and maple.The trick is in its finnish,however
    i don`t know if a small shop can stain and laquer a whole set of kitchen cabinets in a uniform way so every thing matches the way a comercial furniture company can do.I am sure you can make one peice
    look good or two peices not close together.
    It is classified as a hard wood, so it wood be durable,and does wear well i hope this helps carl
    P S you have nice wood there,don`t just paint it all

I am trying to visualize an entire kitchen made of poplar and I don't think I would like it. The greenish cast of the wood and the grain itself isn't all that pleasing to the eye in my opinion. I've never seen poplar as the predominate wood in case pieces unless it was stained to resemble another type of wood. I just know that I (and my wife) wouldn't like the looks in an entire kitchen set. Maybe you should bring some indoors and live with it for a while and decide.

Tom

It is a hardwood. That does not mean it is hard it only means that it looses its leaves in winter.

Popular is a nice wood and I use it, it is a very soft wood and would not hold up to kitchen cabinet usage in my opinion. It would be very good as the internal supports and cleats to hang cabinets.

I have used it in my house in small items unpainted. I will use it to turn the stair rail spindels for my home but that is because my one and only has decided that they should be painted white. Popular takes paint very well. But, it does has a slight green tinge and in some cases wide paterns.

I've used poplar on cabinets in paint grade situations only & I think it works well. I don't think I'd care for a clear finish on it, but I have seen it stained with a "cherry" color & it came out all right. Actually, I had put in some cherry built-in's in a living room & the contractor was making a mantle right next to it. The whole wall was to be stained. He ran out of a particular moulding in cherry, but had some in poplar hanging around so he used it. To an untrained eye, they looked identical.

Thanks for all the help.

As always everyone has been extremely helpful. This forum has helped me so much.