Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is Paste wax just Paste wax

I saw an article recently in one of the magazines talking about paste wax.

Aparently, they are not all the same.

I have been using Butchers Paste wax with decent results, but have never used anything different.

The article says that if the lable lists "floors" as a primary use, it is not a good choice for furniture. They say it is a "harder" blend - having more carnuba than bees wax or parafin, making it much more difficult to buff out.

I am thinking of trying something different than Butchers or Johnsons.

Anybody have anything to add here?

RE: Is Paste wax just Paste wax

We can't purchase Butcher's pocally out here. I've used both Johnson's and MinWax with good results. I prefer Johnson's only because I was able to purchase 3 cans in one shot. I use Johnson's on all my shop equipment.

It is only difficult to buff out if the wax is applied way too heavy.

(Edit - Some day I'll learn to type.)

I read the same article. They seemed to cover the topic pretty well. We've been trying several different waxes at work to try to find the easiest to buff. I like beeswax dissolved in 50/50 turpentine and mineral spirits. Anything with a lot of carnuba is going to be hard to buff out. If you're using a power buffer and are going for a high sheen this probably wouldn't be a problem. We buff by hand and a softer wax works better for us.

Using the Butchers wax - I have had decent success but with nothing to compare to - it's hard to judge.

Carnuba is the harder of the waxes - and to me seems that the carnuba would be the wax you want on the surface of the think being waxed.

Bees wax is the softer of the waxes and Parafin in in the middle.

I was wondering about others - like Briwax and stuff like that?

I buff by hand with a soft rag. I don't use a power buffer.

I also wax everything. I wax shop equipment, and the stuff I make. I even buffed and waxed all the trim in my newly remodeled bathroom. Yep I wet sanded 600 - then automiotive compound then buffed with paste wax - even the trim. I use wax us a lubricant sometimes.

I've used Antiquax.
    http://www.constantines.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=272

You might like it. As for JPW, I don't let it dry at all. I wipe off in a matter of minutes.

I've used Johnson's and one of the specialty furniture waxes from Woodcraft. Found it easier to buff out the Johnsons, even though it is multi-purpose including being used on floors, than the other stuff.

All i can get here is minwax...which the article said not to use...

seems fine to me

I like Butcher's, myself - I don't think I ever really wish for anything different when I'm waxing things 'cause it does the job I expect it to do.

-- Tim --

Naked,
    Green,
    ...and having a FIELD DAY...
    :)

Briwax comes in many flavors, including clear. I'm reading their brochure and they say it is a blend...a secret blend...of beeswax and carnuba. Inside the brochure tells you how to use it on bare wood, floors, finished wood, and chicken (couldn't help it.) They go on to tell you how to use it on white rings, dried cracked finishes, and kitchen cabinets that need rejuvinating. IT DOES IT ALL!

I have used it on bare wood furniture and as expected it offers a little protection as a finish. The pigmented Briwaxes impart some color, depending on how you are using it. I used to work with an outfit that put it on all their pieces though with my own use I've never seen what this does to enhance the appearance of the finish. I think its best use, especially for the pigmented waxes, is on a painted surface, to give it an old look.

Be careful of the solvents, Briwax uses tolulene. Mylands, if I recall, is a decent wax that doesn't use tolulene.

John
    John

Did you ever think that maybe the crumb just wanted to steal our wirecutters?

Mylands is the stuff I got from Woodcraft. It is not softened like the Johnson's and is harder to apply as well as harder to buff out. I looked at several places to find the Johnson's, with all of the other "modern" polishes and such, old fashioned Johnson's paste wax is difficult to find. Got it at the grocery store in the cleaning supply area. I think it was Albertson's which has since closed most of their stores here. Johnson's has some ammonia smell that brings back reminiscence from my days in the Army. Man, I buffed a lot of floors after applying that stuff.