basementbartender

cutting chicago Bar Rail

I am building a bar in basement, the first large project I've attempted. I am running into some dificulty cutting the corners for the bar rail. The bar rail is the standard oak chigago bar rail (1 5/8 x 7 3/8). I am using a 10 inch radial arm saw for the cuts and I am unsure of the settings.

For the 45 degree angles, I make 22 1/2 degree cuts. This works great with practice cuts on a 2x4. Because the rail actually drops a few inches I need to angle the blade also, and I don't have a clue what the blade angle should be set at. How do I figure this out?

I also have one 90 degree angle and need to figure the correct blade angle for the 45 degree cuts also.

At $12.50 a foot I can't afford to make to many mistakes?

RE: cutting chicago Bar Rail

The best way to do this is to build a suport that holds the bar rail at the finished position then you can cut the 22 1/2 and 45's the normal way. It gets very complex to do compound complex angles and get them right for this kind of thing. Also depending on the RAS you have just getting a true single angle might be tough enough. My assuption is you have a sears of delta RAS.