Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Captain's Bed Plans

Our daughter would like to get a captain's bed for our granddaughter, but the price is way over her head. I thought I might make one, if I can find plans. Has anyone seen a source for these plans?

For those unfamiliar, a captian's bed is a bed that is higher than normal and has storage drawers underneath. Great for smaller bedrooms.

Pastor Paul

"If they don't have woodworking in heaven, I ain't going!!!"

RE: Captain's Bed Plans

Here's a plan that I ran across.

http://www.scrollsaw.com/u747.htm

Costs ten bucks for it, though.

PP
    Try this link...........

http://www.woodworkingplanfinder.com/
    Keystone

One of the Original Charter Members. Circa 2000

No longer here. Can now be found at WoW.

Herm,

That looks like a pretty easy one to build, but with only the two drawers, there isn't much storage space. I'll keep looking but that one may turn out to be my best option. Thanks.

Pastor Paul

Keystone,

Thanks,

I found about three good possibilities. I just wish they would combine features. One has a bookcase headboard. Another has two rows of drawers.

I'm goin got show these to our daughter when she comes over today. We may have a project to work on in the cold winter months (until Lent takes over my schedule).

Pastor Paul

I built a trundle bed from free plans at lowes.com. It could be modified to accept drawers if you like. I think the design suits a girl quite well and the material were fairly cheep. I choose to use pine instead of birch for the price. I also used bed rail h/w instead of the method given in the plans. Actually, I changed the way the entire bed was put together. I used biscuits to fasten the posts, etc.

Here is a link to a page I put together on it. There is a link to the plans at the bottom of the page:

http://randylowe.com/bed

Pastor, I'm just finishing a captain's bed for my son. It is of my own design but I have fairly precise drawings that I'd be happy to send you.

When I get home from work, I'll link up a couple of pictures I took yesterday so you can see it.

My son's bedroom is on the second floor and all the beds we saw would be extremely difficult to get up the stairs. So, I came up with a design where I made 3 smaller cases, two for drawers and one with doors on it. They're basically bolted together and then, a platform is placed on top for the mattress.

I'll post some pic's later.

Regards.

Dave

Dave,

That sounds like just what we are looking for.

Thanks!!

Pastor Paul

PastorPaul, sorry about the delay but I didn't forget about you!

Here's a picture of the bed without the drawer fronts or doors on. I think you get the picture though. The 3 cases are bolted together with poplar dividers just to add some visual interest. The center case is 2 inches shallower than the outer ones. It was a "mod" I had to make due to a kick back incident that chewed up one of the panels when I was making it. From the top, it gives an hour-glass shape to the three cases. This one is made from birch ply and poplar. I used Accuride 28" full extension glides and hang 36" long drawers off them. When the urethane on the drawer fronts dries, I'll post a completed pic. Basically, everything I did on this bed, I did for the first time: drawers, false fronts, BIG cases, etc. It isn't perfect but I learned alot.

I'd be happy to send you my diagrams if you'd like them.

Regards

Dave

http://www.downinfrontht.com/images/...torage_bed.jpg

Neat project...could I be so bold as to request a copy of your plans? something like this would be great for my son - I don't know if its within my capabilities yet, but I'd like to look it over and see from there.

Thank you