Cubicle Bookcase Question

Okay, I'm counting on the power of the woodworking braintrust for an answer to this one. Certainly, it's been done.

I'm building a series of bookcases for my kid's rooms. I will build 10 identical carcases (five per room) each 29W X 14H X 14D. Within each case, I'll install a verical member and a horizontal shelf, creating 4 rectangular cubicles.

Since they won't be carrying any huge weight, I'm going to make them out of 5/8" Baltic Birch plywood, leaving the edge grain exposed for a cool stain detail.

Here's my question .... how do I install the horizontal and vertical members without putting any cleats inside the carcase? I've thought of the ol' "slot in each piece" trick, slipping the horizontal shelf over the vertical piece, but I'm concerned that the joint isn't very strong. Any ideas?

RE: Cubicle Bookcase Question

Hi, Shawn.

I presume you're proposing to put the vertical splitter at the open face of the box rather than running it through the center (in the middle of the shelf). Probably.

I'm tempted to think of cutting a shallow (1/8") dado all round the inside of the box to support the shelf around its closed perimeter. Then I think of a matching dado running around 3 of the vertical splitter's sides. The splitter itself could be cut overlong, then the ends tenoned to fit into notches top & bottom. The shelf would be notched to fit the dado in the splitter.

During assembly, that shelf would be slid into place, then the vertical splitter glued into place top & bottom - holding the shelf permanently. Glue could be applied to the rearmost dado inside the box and likewise to the dado in the splitter - locking the whole thing together.

That's one approach.

-- Tim --

If you can learn but one more thing,
    Learn to apply past lessons
    To future situations.

Another thought is to use biscuits and glue.

That way you doun't have to worry about dadoing the shelves in.

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, why not dado or sliding dovetail the vertical member and drill holes for shelf pins to support the horizontal members that way you can even make the horizonal members adjustable.

Greg