Notching on a 4X4?

What is the best way to notch a 4X4 piece of wood? I am notching it for a 2X6 to make my workbench. And I don't have all the latest and greatest tools either -- miter saw, jigsaw, coping saw.

I am sure you can tell I am fairly new to woodworking, but enjoy it very much.

RE: Notching on a 4X4?

If those are your only power tool choices, I'd say a hand saw and chisel...might even be faster then the power tool set ups would be anyway.

>What is the best way to notch a 4X4 piece of wood? I am
    >notching it for a 2X6 to make my workbench. And I don't
    >have all the latest and greatest tools either -- miter saw,
    >jigsaw, coping saw.
    >
    >I am sure you can tell I am fairly new to woodworking, but
    >enjoy it very much.

This is how I would do it, but wait for more experienced people to respond to your post.

1. Mark all boundaries of the notch with a square and pencil or knife. Double check your measurements after the marks are made.

2. With a circular saw or handsaw, cut crossgrain kerfs through the area to be notched to about 1/16" less than the desired depth. Do the two edge kerfs first. Leave about 1/8" or more of wood between kerfs to keep the saw in the wood.

3. Sharpen a 1" or wider chisel. Do a forums search on sharpening, as there are many excellent posts on this. The "scary sharp"/sandpaper method is cheapest.

4. Use the chisel to clean and flatten the bottom of the notch.

Andy

If you have a circular saw, I agree with Andy that this would be the easiest way. Once the kerfs are cut, you should be able to knock out the pieces with a hammer and then clean up the area with a chisel.

Bob R

Couldn't knocking it out with a hammer "rip" or break off more than I want? Even if I cut a little less than my desired depth, isn't there the possibility of damage to the part I don't want to cut?

I know it sounds silly to try to make a workbench look nice, but I am also practicing for other projects I would like to do in the future.

The wood should break at the weakest point, which would be in the portion with the saw kerfs. Try it on a piece of scrap if you're concerned about using this method.

Bob R

ok, will do. thanks a lot.

Eric,
    Go with the saw kerfs and then use a chisel. Go slow, easy and work your way in. You shouldn't have any trouble even with a dull chisel.

If you make just a couple of cuts, one on each side of the dado then use your coping saw. Then if necessary, use the chisel to smooth out the bottom of the dado.

Eric, lacking a handheld circular saw, I'd cut the ends of the dado with a handsaw. Then I'd attack the sides & face of that waste with a chisel, working my way toward the bottom of the dado. At the bottom, I'd get extra-sure my chisel was as deadly sharp as it could be & skim the bottom with it to flatten it out - working WITH the grain, not against it.

Rich, your new sig line's gonna kill me from gigglin'! :)

-- Tim --

If today
    I have not helped bring a smile
    To at least one face,
    Then today
    Was a wasted day.