Sanding between coats of poly

I have a few quick questions. I have stained and applied the first coat of poly to my oak bed frame. My question is... what grit should I use to sand between coats. I plan on putting 3 coats on it ( unless someone suggests more/less ).

I sanded the bare wood to 220 ( I later read that sanding oak beyond 180 is basically not worth your time ). I plan on using either 220 after the first coat, and 300 after the second coat. Is this correct? Finally, should I sand the final coat of poly? If so, what grit to use on the final coat? Wife wants a satin finish, so I am using satin poly. I want it smooth, and a "feels good" finish.

Thanks in advance
    clowman

RE: Sanding between coats of poly

I use 0000 steel wool (not the green plastic pads) to sand between my final coats of poly as well as on the finished product. I don't like the way poly looks after it dries but I do like the buffed out look with the steel wool.

BB

Live a life of thankfulness; if for no other reason, that you have life.

As far as "between coats" sanding, it is not neccesary for the next coat to bond (unless it's been a couple of weeks between coats), only to remove imperfections in the previous coat. However, I find myself always doing it, and I use 220 grit between coats.

For the final finish, I wax it using 0000 steel wool as the applicator, that gives it a nice, smoooooth satin finish.

Ron

http://basecamp-1.com/ronsworld/woodwork/projects.htm

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it"
    - Henry Ford

I agree. I also use the 0000 and wax. This gets rid of the "plastic" look that most people don't like about poly. Also gives it that "hand-rubbed" feel.

I hope someone answers your question on whether it makes any difference to go past 180 on oak. I guess I am just used to going to 220 and never have thought about it. Anyway, maybe we'll both learn something.

Happy waxing.

Jerry

150 to 180 max on sanding the new wood. its ok to go higher grit if your only going to clear coat. but higher grits usually mean less stain will penetrate.

as far as inbetween coats as suggested 220 usually works fine for me but beware.... it can tend to leave scratch marks under the new finish if the new finish doesnt react correctly. so sand with the grain and i try to use an older piece on a quick rub down before the next coat.

as far as that plastic finish.. steel wool does wonders but most get that look cause they use high gloss. use a flat poly if available and satin if not....rebel

Usually I'll use a 400 Wet or Dry after the first coat just to knock any imperfections off like raised grain with water based Polycrylic. After the second coat I'll use either 600 or 800 WoD. And third coat nothing.