Jet Band Saw alignment

I have a Jet 14 inch band saw. I am having difficulty getting the blade to align to the table at a 90 degree angle. Not the sides of the blade, but the rear of the blade. I've looked in the manual but havent found information on this alignment issue. Is it likely that the only way to resolve this problem is to shim the table until it is correct. The blade tracks well on the wheels, in the center of the rubber tire. Your help is appreciated.

Darrin
    "Ever notice how good enough, is usually neither good nor enough?"

RE: Jet Band Saw alignment

Hi Darrin,

How far off are you? It's not usually considered a critical dimension, but I can see times when it's downright crucial (dovetails, joinery, etc). If you're tracking perfectly on BOTH wheels, shimming the table's probably the only option. If both wheels are not in perfect alignment, you can move one wheel in or out with spacers, washers or shims, behind it. It wouldn't adjust things MUCH, of course, since you woulnd't be moving very far on such a long distance. Kinda depends on just how far off things are.

It's not a huge amount, over the length of my 8 inch square, probably a little more than 1/16". But I'm trying my hand at building acoustic guitars and some of the cuts that i'm making, such as a scarf joint for the neck, the blade is entering the wood at an angle because it's not perpendicular to the table.

Darrin

Nath Saburbin Bahstin, Massachusetts, USA.

You may want to check and see if it's a blade issue or a guide issue.

To check the guides, back them all off . . . the side guides and the rear bearings . . . DO NOT POWER THE SAW ;) . . . open the door and spin the wheels manually until the blade finds it track . . . recheck for square. If it is, it is likely you were forcing the blade out with one or the other of the rear bearings.

Try another blade, if the blade was not welded perfectly, it could cause an 'in-out' action while still visually tracking correctly.

If both of those tests fail you, shimming may be a must. Personally, I'd go with shimming the table rather than trying to shim the wheel mounts. It won't take much since the distance from the center of the blade to the bolts holding the trunnion to the table are less than half the 8" of the square. It would be simple as well since you'd just need to loosen the front or rear trunnion bolts and shim accordingly.

One last thing to check if you're brave, if you have a riser installed, check and make sure the four mating surfaces of the saw and riser block are clean and free of burrs, and that the bolt holding the whole lot together hasn't worked itself even a little loose.

I've got the same saw at home and I can take a look-see to check if there is some kind of adjustment (short of shimming) on the table you may have overlooked when I get home tonight . . . if I find anything, I'll post an update. :D

I appreciate your help. I'll check the riser block and make sure it's snug. I did back the thrust bearings and lateral guides off and it didnt make any difference. I'm hoping its not a blade issue. Its my good Timberwolf resaw blade. :( It's not a big deal to shim it, i just wanted to make sure i wasnt missing anything obvious.

Thank you guys again.

Darrin

I've said in other posts lately that I use my bandsaw probably more than my table saw, but I've never really expected super accuracy on my bandsaw and, as such, cut just outside the lines to give me wiggle room for cleaning up the cut. For a scarf joint I would expect to have to lay the two pieces out, one atop the other with the parts of the joint aligned, and use a handplane to to true the surfaces to each other.

Nath Saburbin Bahstin, Massachusetts, USA.

After looking at my saw up close, I'll revise my recommendation to say . . . shim the whole trunnion assembly. Put them between the saw body and the trunnion support . . . rather than between the trunions and the table . . . that way you'll keep the pivot point of the trunnions equal as from the factory.