Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

strength of OSB vs. birch ply

Do you think the strength of 2 or 3 laminated plys of 1/4" OSB would be equal to, less than, or greater than the strength of a similar thickness (1/2" or 3/4") birch plywood? How confident are you in your response?

Would titebond be suitable for creating such a laminate or would you want to go with some sort of epoxy? I'm just trying to decide if I can use up some extra 1/4" OSB I have lying around in lieu of real-life 1/2" or 3/4" plywood.

Thanks,

Jay

osb

hi,I think it will have plenty of strength.titebond glue would be fine or contact cement is another way to do it.When you consider what they use OSB for such as shear strength for sheathing ,subflooring,and yes for floor joist, when construted in certain way,even laminated beams and headers,all said to be stonger then conventional lumber.They also say that the movement that is in regular lumber is reduced to nill when OSB is used.You may want to top it with a throw away hardboard though.I hope this helps.Carl

RE: strength of OSB vs. birch ply

OSB is specifically designed to be just as strong as plywood.

PITA (Pain In The Acronym)

I think this forum needs a pop-up definition window for acronyms (or anagrams or whatever they are) and also obscure woodworking terms like "rabbit" and "rebate" and "rabbet" and "plough" and "plow" and "dado" and "dido" and....ooops!...vulgar term almost slipped in here.

So, what's OBS?

G-r-r-r-r-r! I meant OSB?

:) :) :)

RE: PITA (Pain In The Acronym)

Bob,

OSB, Oriented Strand Board. It is a manufactured panel made up of woodchips that are about 3 inches long and a inch wide they are only about 1/16 thick. All of these chips are glued and pressed to gether. It has a rough surface and is used mostly for sheathing for the walls and roof of buildings. They have to be covered by some weather proof finished surface because they will not do well in weather. The stuff is very heavy and crude looking but strong. I is like a plywood but made up with thousands of small pieces instead of a few large sheets of wood.

Hope that helps.

OSB doesn't come close to the strength of plywood. It is good for use in a number of situations.

>OSB doesn't come close to the strength of plywood. It is
    >good for use in a number of situations.

See http://www.umass.edu/bmatwt/osb.html for a rebuttal.

ROFLMAO,

Well done, Guest.....

Why don't you "register" and join the crowd?

Dano

Funny,I don`t get that from reading your post,in all areas they called osb equal to cdx plywood and also said that it had better shear strength then cdx plywood.Numbers speak for themselves.More then half of new constuction is using these products and growing,
    soon it will be the perferred choice.The only issue is water protection and they are addessing these issues and will probably solve it in the not to long future.Regards Carl

I've used OSB for lots 0f differant things and can tell you one thing it's not good for and that is shelving. you can put OSB across 2 saw horses and it'll stay rigid and straight for months but put an empty glass on it and it will bow to the ground in a week
    Cougar