Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

How do you make triangle picture frames with power miter saw

I'm an artist who has started making picture frames with my router table, power miter saw, and band clamp. I would like to make a triangle picture frame. I guess the miters would be 60 degrees instead of 45 for a right angle. How do you do this on a power miter saw? Thanks for your help.

RE: How do you make triangle picture frames with power miter

You can use a power miter saw to do this but you will want to make sure that it is acurately set up, that you're able to acurately cut stock to length (you might need stops), that you operate the saw safely (small pieces can be a PIA on a CMS), and you may need to make a zero clearance insert for the saw blade (to avoid raged cuts). Although each leg of the triangle would be 60 degrees you'll want to make each cut at 30 degrees (bisect the angle) to work. I prefer to make these cuts on a table saw with a cutoff sled. If you plan on doing a lot of these, or often need to do fine trimming, you should consider investing in a miter trimer which is a guilotine like device for acurately trimming wood and is often used by picture framers.

Well.....

Actually, each leg of a triangle is 120 degrees, so each cut would be 60 degrees....

I'll go piss off now.... bye :)

Make an auxiliary fence that's at an angle of say... 15 degrees, and use this fence as your reference instead of the fence on the miter saw. Now when you set your miter saw to 45 degrees, you'll be cutting at 60 degrees.

Hope that made sense...

Alternative...

This whole 30-60-90 debate all depends on which plane you measure the angle from. You need to make a 30deg cut on your boards. (Measured from the board edge, 0deg is a rip cut, and 90deg is a crosscut, right?) This is not very practical on the CMS, but you could do as Marc suggests and make a wedge shaped jig to gain the necessary 15deg past the 45deg stop. If you do this, try to clamp everything in place before you cut, as the wedge will force your work partially off the table, making it less stable. Table saw would be a good choice, if you have one. Just make a 30deg miter sled and shebang.
    Here's the alternative...
    Mark out the 30deg angle all the way around your board with a sharp knife. Cut to the waste side of the line, and plane by hand down to the knife line.
    You can rig up a shooting board for this, to prevent chipping out the long side of your angle, and to ensure miter face is perpendicular to board face.
    You could also pare back to the line with a paring chisel, but I would recommend lots of practice paring before doing the finished product.
    Good Luck,
    Donald
    p.s. I make picture frames on occasion, but I never attempt to make the pictures that go therein. Just a thought.

Of course we are all talking equilaterally here...aren't we ?
    As for me I'm an Isoceles type of person :)

Luv t'ya all

Limester

Limester,
    You raise a good point, I think everyone was assuming equilateral, but we ain't seen the picture, have we? Might even be of the scalene variety!
    Donald

OOH ! now he's talking dirty to me !!! :9 :9

Limester

Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada.

30 will work if you do a butt joint rather than a mitre joint, scroll down to bottom of page at this link
    [http://benchnotes.com/Geo%20Shapes/geo_shapes.htm]
    Frank C

Sawdust Making 101
    http://sawdustmaking.com

I don't know, man. I think my gyro has precessed 90deg (due to coreoulus effect, no doubt) during the trip over to this subtropical sweatbox. Or maybe, as I am inclined to believe, the rest of the world is about 90deg out from my vantage point. A HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAA!
    Assertiveness training at work!
    Donald