Coronet Major Lathe

I wonder if some kind soul can help me.

I'm starting out in woodturning & have just acquired a old (20 years) Coronet Major 500 wood Lathe. I haven't any documentation on setting up or adjustments, and wondered if anyone out there had a pdf of the original manual, or could scan the relevant pages for me.

Thanks in anticipation.

Bill G

RE: Coronet Major Lathe

Hi Rob

I am not real familiar with the model lathe you mention, but most adjustments are universal. There are some things peculiar to various models such as methods for changing speed, etc, but most machines are very similar in design. If you cannot fnd a manual, specific questions are usually easy enough to answer.

Bill

These lathes were made in the UK and at one time were as common as rainy days ! I think that they are no longer in manufacture but the "major" is/was a respectable lathe.
    Like Bill my thoughts are that there is nothing unique about the Coronet and it is certainly not a design that is different to just about any other lathe.
    If you are really stuck on any given aspect either try us here at woodworker.com or post a message on any of the UK woodworking forums..there's bound to be someone who could send you a photocopy of the manual...Don't worry that it's 20+ years old it will still be capable of spinning many years down the road.

Things to check are that the tailstock slides easily up and down the bed and that it centers on the the same spot as the haedstock...you can check this with a spur drive in the head and a center point in the tail. It is not uncommon for there to be a small amount of misalignment which to many is a point of pride but basically won't affect you too much....anything above 1/32nd of an inch can usually be cured by shimming under the tailstock carriage or locking it with a degree of sideways pressure in the direction that will align it.
    File the top of the tool rest if it has any nicks in it...check the condition of the drive belts if it hasn't been used for some while...cracks fraying etc. and if they are bad take them to your "friendly" auto parts store when they are not busy as somewhere in amongst their stock is a belt that will be suitable..the hardest part is to convince the assistant with a ring through his nose that it isn't for a car :)
    Rotate the head without the drive engaged and feel for any slop or lumpiness in the bearings...these are not difficult to replace and are sure to be stock bearings available from any local bearing stockist..When I did this on an old cheapo lathe they were the same as those used in a spin dryer..

Congratulations ..you have a damn nice piece of metal there.

Limey

Gentlemen

Many thanks for your replies. I've yet to get the lathe out of the back of the van & into the shed, but rest assured I'll carry out the checks you listed straight away.

"back of the van"

you're a Brit.... :) just checked the profile ...YEP ...
    You'll have NO trouble getting it going my son....
    Peter Childs Nr Chelmsford was and still is my favourite place to seek advice and generally do business with... You mind find he's a few pence more than the Axminsters and Woodcraft's of this world but it's more than made up for by their general willingness to help and desire to give you what you need rather than peddle gimmicks to the punter.
    If your in that neck of the woods it's well worth a visit..bit of a maze of narrow lanes to find and they have weird opening hours..(or used to). Little Yeldham is the Hamlet
    I still buy from them and will usually send my friend in to see what stuff he's got that isn't on line.. they send it within a few days and only ever charge exact postage..no extras for packing... less 17.5 % VAT...snigger snigger snigger.
    Still be interested to know how you get on.

Limey