Lacquer and Buffing

I started to buff some bowls today that had 3 coats of spray lacquer over a coat of tung oil. I allowed 24 hours drying between all the coats and 24 hours before buffing.

When I started buffing with the Tripoli compound, the lacquer "melted" and started gumming up on the bowl. On the other bowls, I simply used the carnauba buff at a low speed.

How long should a lacquer finish be allowed to cure before it can be Beall buffed without melting?

Cody

Learn from the mistakes of others.
    You won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

RE: Lacquer and Buffing

hmmm..... now ya got me wondering...

I thought you buffed with the 2 compounds to remove the fine scratches and then finished, or buffed with the final buff (carnauba wax) as the finish?

I guess I gotta go read.....

Helluva discussion here.....

http://www.mimf.com/archives/buffing_out.htm

and some good info here....

http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_bas...er_finish.html

Cody, been there, done that, but on a pen. Although I didn't give it 24 hours, I only gave it about two. What a disaster. To answer your question, I don't know but I've been waiting at least a week before I buff a laquer finish.

Bob

What speed did you buff at? I've got a hunch you just built up too much heat in the buffing. Lacquer SHOULD be fully cured in very little time... I like to give it 24 hours (which is LOTS of time), but then again I don't ever hit it with heat afterwards.

Surely after some time it'd be pretty heat-tolerant... otherwise they'd never lacquer a car black. THAT GETS HOT!!!

Try slowing down the buff. Right now, though, it's back to sanding... :( :( :(

-- Tim --

If it ain't broke,
    Don't fixate.
    :)

Wait a week then buff a slow speed. You know when you buff a lacquered car you must buff at a slow speed or you will burn the finish. The beauity of lacquer is you buff it to get just hot enough for it to flow and smooth out without liquidfing. That is how they rub out scratches on autos with a lacquer finish.

Lacquer needs to cure for at least 7 days before buffing.... and then use only the finest wheel followed by your wax wheel..
    If the lacquer was put on properly there should be virtually no need to do more than that...

Thanks all,

I sorta knew I was jumping the gun but was curious as to just how long to wait before buffing out the lacquer. I'll start waiting a week and skip the tripoli compound from now on. ;)

Tim, I buff at 1650 rpm on the lathe (8" buffs) which is 100 rpm slower than recommended. I have tried a slower speed but I do not get the lustre like the higher speed gives.

Cody

Learn from the mistakes of others.
    You won't live long enough to make them all yourself.