Thread: Lathe Runout

Lathe Runout

How much runout is acceptable on the headstock of the lathe? I picked up a new Rikon lathe for my birthday this weekend and it seemed to be a bit wobbly on the headstock side but very stable on the tailstock side, and I could feel it when I was roughing out a stick. I held my dial caliper on the smooth part of my sper center and it was fluxuating about .012" Is this too much? should I take it back or just contact Rikon about it?

Thanks
    David

RE: Lathe Runout

David, the outside runout on the spur center isn't of any real significance as long as the spindle is running tight in its bearings. If you grab the threaded part of the spindle (power off, of course) with your hand, you should NOT be able to shake it enough to move it appreciably - or to hear any "click", which would indicate sloppiness in the bearings.

As long as the bearings are tight, the wood you turn will be completely round.

Your spur center might not be running true because of crud between it and the spindle...

I'm the original
    Party Vegetable

~Flambo~

I just wanted to share my experience with Rikon's Customer Service reguarding this issue. I emailed them with questions about this issue and I recieved a reply in 15 min. "We have seen a wobble in the hand wheel #16. Remove the hand wheel (reverse thread on spindle) and test run out to see if wobble dissipates. If this solves the wobble, I will send a new hand wheel immediately. If not, the issue could be with the spindle and the unit would have to be replaced." I checked this and it helped but there was still some wobble and he gave me some other things to look at and said "You can look at these areas and see if they help. Make a list of parts that you feel is questionable and we will replace. Also forward a shipping address as well." I gave him a list of 4 parts and he said great and will put the order together.

We'll see how long it takes to get the part but I thought I would share the great experience I had with their Customer Service.

Boy, that DOES sound good! It's not often you hear such great CS stories. :)

I'm the original
    Party Vegetable

~Flambo~

Hi Shopdog,

Did you get my email? If so did the pix come through.

Jerry

Hey, Jer... Did you check your email? I adjusted the pics & emailed 'em back to you. They should post fine now.

BEAUTIFUL!

Affected by

Posed Dramatic Tress Disorder

~Flambo~

Just to fill you in, I received the replacement parts (took a week, with the Holiday) put them on and the lathe is running nice and smooth now. It looks like the biggest culprit was the belt. It was very out of shape after I took it off and seems to have just hardened out of shape while it sat on the lathe in the box. I am very happy with this lathe so far, and Very happy with Rikon's Customer service.

David