Harbor Freight Lathe split pulley - how to remove?

I really struggled with my Harbor Freight model 34706 lathe this weekend. I had to replace the gear that moves the split pulley in and out to change the speed (pinion shaft threads were damaged by some nimrod who shall remain un-named). I was stuck with a single speed while waiting for the gear assembly to get here from HF and was very happy when it arrived in the mail on Friday.

I put everything together, but it was still too hard to change speeds...I know I need to lubricate the shaft that the pulleys are on, but the pulleys just will not come off the shaft! There are 2 set screws holding the outside of the split pulley on the shaft and there is also a snap ring. I removed both set screws and the snap ring, but could not get the split pulley to come off the shaft. Dammit! Just need to use a rubber mallet to knock it loose right? No, a piece of the pulley goes flying off into outer space, but the pulley has not budged one iota. Somehow it still works without chewing up the belt, but I know this is not a good situation...I would like to replace the split pulley, but I can't seem to get the dang thing off the shaft.

Am I just missing something? Why won't the danged pulley come off the shaft???? :-( :-( :-( :-(

RE: Harbor Freight Lathe split pulley - how to remove?

The one on the spindle or the one on the motor? The one on the spindle, right?

Looks like, after the setscrews & snapring are off, it should (SHOULD :) ) slide off. It may be boogered into place, in which case you may need a puller to get it to come loose. WD-40?

The belt is off, taking tension off the pulley?

Do NOT try driving the spindle shaft through the headstock to get it done... the shaft has a key on it that'll hammer up your bearings if you try that. Pulley's GOT to come off first.

Worst to worst, you may need to heat the pulley with a propane torch. Being alumin(i)um, it'll expand more than the steel shaft it rides on... and therefore may free up as it heats. Don't get crazy with it; no call to cook the grease in the bearings or start a fire.

-- Tim --

Things are bad...
    Last night my fantasy girlfriend
    Dumped me
    For an imaginary guy...

:)

Thanks Tim. I just wanted to make sure I was not missing something. I will try the heating up with a torch to see if that will work. It seems to be working a little easier now than it was...maybe some of the oil I applied the other day is eventually getting into the right places as it gets used more and more. I'd still like to take the split pulley off and grease the shaft though.

I had thought about a puller but the shaft does not have that little dimple in the center of it that I've seen on other shafts that require a puller. I'm a little worried about being able to center a puller. Plus, I have not used a puller in so long that I don'e even know if I still have one somewhere...if I could even find it.

Thanks again,

You should be safe heating it enough to be uncomfortable handling it with bare hands - even enough to give you a minor skin burn - without damaging anything. Do heat it evenly all the way around, using gloves to turn the spindle as you heat it. You can turn it slowly - like one full turn every minute or so - but do keep turning it so you don't end up with a hotspot that'll warp things.

-- Tim --

Things are bad...
    Last night my fantasy girlfriend
    Dumped me
    For an imaginary guy...

:)

Thanks Tim, I'll try that this weekend.