Is Black & Decker bt2500 table saw worth the $399

My Black & Decker bt2500 has been recalled, should I take this opportunity to get a refund and buy another or get the repaired B&D? I do like the 3 H.P. but I really need advice....TIA

RE: Is Black & Decker bt2500 table saw worth the $399

If you like that 3hp, think how much you'd like actually having 3hp!

It's a 15 amp motor... probably around 1 3/4 HP...

Do you like the saw?

What'd ya pay? You might be able to do real well on another saw if it's a good sized chunk 'o change eh...

If it were me, Iíd go for the refund, my needs and expectations may not be the same as yours though. You donít say if you are happy with the saw overall, if not what would it take to make you happy; is $400 going to help you get there?

PMB
    http://benchmark.20m.com

What Marc's saying is all too true. The "3HP" is only a marketing gimmick; the BT2500 has only a 15A motor, so any 3HP is what's called "developed" horsepower. A motor gains its power output as it faces resistance, so the more resistance = the more power, up to a point. This means that the motor will supposedly develop 3HP, but just at the instant before the windings melt. In most cases, a 15A motor is legitimately rated to have 1-1/2HP.

As for the overall question, "value" is in the eye of the beholder; that's what makes all sales go 'round. A sale is established on the fact that both buyer and seller come away with something they each consider to be of "value." So if you're pleased with the B&D BT2500, fine, if not, look around. For only $299 you can get a Ryobi BT3100; I've never used the B&D, but since I have the BT3000 I'd probably pick its new incarnation over the B&D merely due to things like the sliding miter table, superior dust collection (probably?), and riving knife.

I actually love the saw. Very stable with the extruded aluminum legs, nice rip fence with micro adjustment, decent mitre gauge, large on/off switch (knee high) wider stance than most saws. It feels much higher quality than the bt3100 to me, but this is my first saw (what do I know?) I just see an opportunity to get a refund of 400 bucks to put towards something else, if $500 or $600 will buy a significantly better saw.

Greg,

You might want to head down to a Rockler, or Woodcraft or other woodworking store and get a 'feel' for the other saws out there. You can also go to Home Depot to look at the Ridgid and Lowe's carrys the bottow of the line of Delta's saws and Dewalt's saws.

I have used a half dozens different brand name saws and I am happy with the one I am using righht now.

In the end, to each her/his own!

Blessings,
    --Mark

Visit my shop at:

<http://home.earthlink.net/~maspaulding/>

I bought one about 9 months ago and I also like it for all the reasons you just mentioned. Of course my only basis for comparison is a small Craftsman tabletop saw. I bought it mainly because the one I had was painfully inadequate and the B&D fit my budget and fits in my workshop. I didn't buy with the thought that it would last for ever, I know that won't happen. I'm sure about 10 years from now I'll be dragging it out to the curb to make room for my new uni saw. But that won't happen until the kids are out of college.

Over all I happy with it.

Bob

"I actually love the saw"

Pretty much answered your own question eh :)

...that's all that counts.....

I opted to take the b&d back and buy a Ridgid ts3612. Hope I won't be sorry. B&D sure was a good looking saw, though

Sure would like to hear about the ridgid once you get it set up...

it's getting great reviews....but I'd like to hear what an owner says eh... :)