Jointer Bed Rust!!!

I've just purchased a used Delta DJ-15 jointer from a state clearing house. The price was right, very right and after turning it on and inspecting it for adjustments everything seemed to be in good working order. The bed and fence show more than a lite coat of rust but doesn't show any pitting. Most of the surface was in fact covered in sap, which was easily cleaned off. The question is how do I go about cleaning the rust off, which has left little bumps all over the bed and fence? I thought of cleaning it with wd-40 and 0000 steelwool but am afraid of dishing the surface. I need it clean before I can check the bed for twist, cup, etc, besides the need for general cleanliness. Would I be better off taking it to a machine shop to have the top and fence ground true? I'd be glad to hear any comments.
    Thanks!

Nath Saburbin Bahstin, Massachusetts, USA.

RE: Jointer Bed Rust!!!

>I thought of cleaning it with wd-40 and
    >0000 steelwool but am afraid of dishing the surface. I need
    >it clean before I can check the bed for twist, cup, etc,
    >besides the need for general cleanliness. Would I be better
    >off taking it to a machine shop to have the top and fence
    >ground true? I'd be glad to hear any comments.
    >Thanks!

You're on the right track there. You can also use a power sheet sander with automotive paper. Start with 320 grit and work up to 600 and 1000. Then, if you are out of true, take it to a machine shop . . . no need to go to the extreme of machining until you're sure it needs it.

Be sure to wax it good once the rust is off . . . or it will be back in a hurry.

--Deathwish

When it comes to
    woodworking and buying
    tools, I always think back to
    my grandfathers advice on
    golf . . . "it's not the arrows,
    it's the indian.''

I have used a ROS and some oil to take rust off of some old tools I got. The amount of sanding you would have to do to dish our cast iron would take so long you would have to have meals broght in.

WD 40 is a water disperser, not a good thing to use in this case. light oil, karosen, mineral sprits will all work. Go from about 100 grit if you need to and work up to as high a grit as you want. The finer the grit the better the shine. You don't need to have a high shine for anything other than looks.

use white vinegar and some green abrasive pads at first, then once the major portion of rust is off, continue with steal wool. Make sure you don't bit off more than you can chew when cleaning it. Only clean a small area at a time, and be patient.

Lots 'O Luck

I have used a ROS myself on a jointer bed. Started with 150 grit and moved up. It did a great job. I have pictures on my site of the jointer.

Yeah, Laz! That's my favorite derusting technique for big stuff...

-- Tim --

E Lignus Unum

Thanks for all the advice. I spent the better part of Saturday cleaning my new jointer up.
    Rick