Was using my #3 T11 night before last and needed to sharpen it. Pulled the iron, got it nice and sharp and went to put everything back together. I notice that the lever didn't seem to have any tension when I pushed it down, so gave the lever screw a turn and tried again. Still no tension, gave the screw another turn and there was some tension for a split second then nothing. Top half of the threads in the frog just gave out. Fiddled with it and there's enough thread in the bottom to hold but can't get the lever down. :'(
Checked e-bay and found a couple T-11s there and bid on them. Mentioned my trevails over at Woodnet and one of the guys over there has one he was gonna sell. Sent me a pic and it is in better shape cosmetically than mine so . . .
Anyway, with that one and if I win the bid on the other two I'll have at least three in working order. Maybe I'll start collecting #3s now to go with the several #4 sizes I have now. :)
MAn, when it rains it pours. First my tailed jointer needed work, now this . . .
The folks over at Woodnet gave me a bunch of ideas, from some thin metal sheets normally used for repairing stripped out holes in wood, to JB Weld to helicoils. I think I will give it a shot and see what happens. At best, I'll get it working just fine, at worst I won't be any worse off than now.
On a whim, I tore off a piece of aluminum (aluminium for the folks across the pond) foil from the kitchen and wrapped a small piece around the bolt which I sprayed with some Super Lube stuff beforehand. I then slathered some CA glue onto the foil and threaded the thing into the bolt hole. Turned it in and out a few times, then left it with the bolt in place for most of a day. Later on I installed the blade/cap iron assembly and the lever cap, tightened the bolt down a bit at a time until I was getting the proper tension on the lever, and it seems to be holding just fine now.
Got outbid on both of the e-bay planes. Both appeared to be T-11s and the one with the broken off cheek went of about $6.00 more than the other one. While the cheaper one seemed to be in better condition the other had better pics. The seller gave more detail on the broken one but made no mention of the big hunk obviously missing from the casting.
Anyway, the one I bought from the fella at Woodnet should be on its way and I will soon be in possession of 2 #3 T11s. Gotta have a spare, you know.
I fixed one of my planes by installing a "Kingsert" in the damaged thread. If you are good with tapping holes I would be more then happy to mail you a couple or if you shipped it to me I,d fix it for you.
I'm gonna see how this fix works out. It is really unusual to have to adjust that screw much unless the blade, chip breaker of lever cap gets changed, and there really is not that much pressure on the threads.